Breeding

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Oct 25, 2009.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Isn't there a shot you can give them to make them go into heat? Is it safe,and how does it work? I need to get my doe bred in the next few weeks, but I don't know when either of them are in heat, because I just have two does and I don't notice them acting any different. Is there anything I could do to try and figure out if they're in heat? The buck I'd like to use is about an hour away,and they don't have room to board my doe so I can't just take her there and board her until she's in heat.

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

There is a sho called lutilyse, but you have to time it right. You have to give the shot seven days after she comes is in heat and its not always successful. Just because she is in heat doesnt neccissarily mean she is ovulating. They usually come into a really strong heat calling and flagging more and longer then a normal heat.
    beth

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep its called lutalyse...fairly sure its a vet prescribtion

4. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    It can be really tough to tell heats in does without a buck on the premises. Can you get a buck rag and let them smell it? Lute will work but I'm just not a fan of hormones unless needed.

5. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I'm hoping I can get a buck rag, and try that,but I tried a buck rag with one of them last year and she didn't act different when I took it to the barn, she'd just smell it,so I thought she was bred, but found out she wasn't. Hmm, anyone have a Alpine buck in northeast Ohio with room to board? :?

6. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok, last week I had both my does checked by the vet to make sure that they were healthy and ready to breed, which they are, the only problem he said is they are a bit heavier than they should be,but he'd rather see them carrying a little extra weight instead of not enough going into winter. We also wormed them. So today I noticed my dairy doe had a bit of a clear/yellow mucus on her rear,and I got a buck rag from a neighbor, and she kept following me around with it and smelling it, and kinda raised her tail a bit and wagged about 4 times while I was at the barn,which she usually keeps her tail low and doesn't wag often,and she also stretched her back out once and flipped her head like backwards once if that means anything,so I am thinking she is in heat,does it sound like it to you? I just emailed the breeder and told her this so hopefully she is in heat,and will still be in heat tommorrow when I get home from school, because I can't take her tonight and it's close to an hour drive. :? Any ideas?

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup sounds like she is in heat -- you have a 24 hour window of when she will be in standing heat -- so tomorrow she should still be in heat providing she is JUST going into heat today.

Good luck -- I hope it works out

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    looks like you caught it. write it down for sure, then count 21 days ahead and mark that day too. so when you get her bred you can watch around the second date in case she comes back into heat. :thumb:

9. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok,I hope she's still in heat tomm when I get home,I know she didn't have any goo yesterday,so maybe I'll be lucky lol, and will do :)

10. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Today she smelled the rag, but not for nearly as long as yesterday, wagged a couple times,did the back stretch thing again,and the goo is dry from yesterday,so do you think she's still in heat or no?

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    could still be -- I cant say for sure if you are asking for a definate from me I wont give it but its worth a shot if you can take her, but I know how it is to drive an hour to find that they wont stand for the buck :hair:

12. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Yeah I'm not sure either, and I don't want to drive a hour and waste their time if she wont stand,but it's getting late so I really need to get her bred as soon as possible

13. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Or else does anyone know of someone that has a buck in Ohio that I could lease for like 6 weeks or something? That might work better :?

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what breed are you looking for? you can put up an add to see if anyone has a buck for stud or knows of anyone

15. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I'd prefer an Alpine but would consider a Nubian to

16. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Try craigslist,bestfarmbuys.com,hoobly.I always see ads at those places.Good luck!