Breeding..

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Riot_My_Love, May 31, 2010.

1. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide when to breed my newest doe. I know not now, lol. But I've seen people breed their dairy goats at 11 months, but breed Boers around 13? I really don't wanna wait, lol, but I'll do what's healthiest for my doe.

Advise appreciated!

Amanda

2. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    I knw in BOERS age is a factor but also is weight and condition of the doe. Some you can breed early if they are 60-70% of thier full grown weight. Have no idea on dairy.

3. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I know I should wait till they are over a year old but we need fair babies. So I was thinking about breeding them in october for march kids and that would put them at 13 months old when they freshen. I am only doing that if they are large enough. If they are not big enough then I will have to figure something else out. Maybe I will just have to buy a couple more does!! LOL

4. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    In our area they breed the boer does in the fall after they are born in the spring...sometime around 7-8 months old if they are at least 70 lbs. We are planning to breed our January/February born does in October/November but are only going to breed them once a year so they wont get worn down (and if they are 70+ pounds by then). We want spring babies from here on out, and I don't want to hold them until they are nearly two years old to breed them.

5. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

Okay, thanks guys!

Perfect7, that sounds like a good idea.. Breeding once a year, that is. I have a late Feb doe.. So maybe after I show her this summer breed her in November for a Spring kidding? Is that right? Then she'll be prepared for the next summer show season?

Thanks!

6. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I am planning on going by the look of the doe to determine when to breed her. My doe that was a FF this year was breed last Nov, which put her at 9 mos of age when bred. She did fine and had 1 heathly buckling. The doeling I will be getting was born the end of Feb. I want to breed my does in Dec, which would make the doeling 10 mos old. If she has not grown to my specs, then I will wait on her as I do not need the kids right away, like for show. Mine are Sanaans BTW.

7. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

Thank you for your post! Yes, that is the same plan I have for my doe. I emailed the buck owner (Far View Farms in West VA), hopefully I got a reply. Thank you all for your help! :wink: