Breeding

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Josh, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Josh

Josh New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Ok I added four does in with my buck jethro. He blubbered, chased, and mounted the does. I was unable to determine heat by looking at the does (I'm new). How effective is the buck in determining heat? Is this just a normal response to new does and not a sign of heat?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Normal bucky behavior in response to having access to does!

To make things easier since you choose to pen breed, mark the date on a calendar when you first put him in with them, otherwise, you'll be "guessing" as to when they are ready to kid.
    When you see a doe actually stand for him, or stop and flirt, looking over her shoulder as he's "courting" her, she's in "standing heat", once he does the deed, you'll notice her backside will be messy and a bit swollen, 18-21 days later, if she didn't settle, she'll stand again.
    My advice would be to leave him with them for a month, and then remove him to a pen next to them, if any weren't bred or settled they'll be right next to the fenceline wanting his attentions, this would also prevent him from continually harrassing them and stressing them if they did settle.
    With my own does, I leash breed...buck on a leash and when I see the chosen doe in heat, I take him to her for a few breedings then he goes back to join the other boys. My does are also fairly close in their heat cycles, usually when one is in heat theres 2 more that come in 3-4 days after, so of my 6 does, they all have a heat within 2 weeks of each other.

3. Josh

Josh New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Yeah they all looked as if they had been flipped out after he mounted them. Sorry don't know a better term... Not trying to be vulgar... Is that what you mean by messy? It was kind of a run from him let him try then run some more. I kept up with the dates he showed intrest. Should put them kidding in april.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    "Flipped out?"...meaning they looked turned inside out? Or were spazzing out and running from him?

Messy backsides are usually the result of excess semen that "back washes", if you noticed dirty looking tail fringe on your does, then he likely did the deed.

5. Josh

Josh New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Turned inside out or disturbed. May not be the best term for it but I don't guess I know a better way to describe it. Guess I'll just have to wait for April.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Heres to healthy deliveries of healthy kids come April! Sounds like your boy did what he was supposed to do.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    When I put the does in with the bucks, the bucks always chase the girls ajnd mount them "the best as he cas with the running", there is a messy look on the back end. I would forsure make the date, but leaave the doe in like Liz said. You will notice the buck will get use to her after a few days, then wehn she is really in heat, he will flirt by sticking out his tounge, and she might run but it is more of a flirt. IF you are able to see them do the deed, the doe normally hunches up.