The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Love my Goats ♥
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are different methods of breeding but I was wondering what y'all do as far as how many times do you let the buck breed the doe? I placed Reggie in the pasture with Maya and he looked like he was successful with her I would say at least 5 times in the past week. He has been put back in his pen after the week. Fingers are crossed that she settled :)! How soon can you usually tell that a Nigie doe is with kid?

·
14,615 Posts
Yep, sounds good to me too. When buck falls off after that last thrust, he has done his job successfully.
Depending on who is or isnt in heat yet, I will sometimes leave them in for a week or two put does back then bring in another doe or two.
If anyone happens to come back into heat they get another date.
That's always comical cause she will stand in a corner flagging & or crying, looking past the main house where she cant see him but knows he's there.
When I put a collar on her she practically runs to his pen without me.;)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
here we had breed as well. But we only let the boy do his deed twice and then its back to his pen. We mainly do this cause we dont keep a lot of bucks on hand and can have a half a dozen girls in at the same time and need to space out the boys work load and make sure he is able to... service all the girls :)

·
Love my Goats ♥
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank y'all for your responses, I really appreciate it! I've never seen him fall off after breeding her, but a few times I've seen her arch her back after he was done. I've heard if a doe does this it was a successful breeding?

·
Love my Goats ♥
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im just hoping all goes well if she is with kid, she's a year and a half old and would be a FF, but she is a small doe, her condition is great she's just a small Nigie. I will see about sending bloodwork into biotracking after the 30 day mark.

·
2,203 Posts
Thank y'all for your responses, I really appreciate it! I've never seen him fall off after breeding her, but a few times I've seen her arch her back after he was done. I've heard if a doe does this it was a successful breeding?
When we lease out the buck or do covered breedings for accepted does we in-hand the doe 3 times for two days (6 breedings). We watch for that arched back. It reassures is he was "where he needed to be".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts