The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
That depends upon your herd goals. There is no health risk or anything in that breeding, but the offspring will never be registerable as NDs. What do you want to do with your herd?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
That depends upon your herd goals. There is no health risk or anything in that breeding, but the offspring will never be registerable as NDs. What do you want to do with your herd?
I heard from my moms friend who breeds nigerian dwarfs that you can't because the dwarfs have longer legs. Not sure if this is true but I had a goat (my first goat) that died through kidding and she was bred to a nigerian.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'm sorry you lost your doe. But it was not because she was bred to an ND. I more suspect mineral issues.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Again @JessCraig there is no danger in breeding an ND doe to a Pygmy buck, that isn't already there for any pregnancy.

Now, if you were breeding her to a Boer buck, all kinds of people would be jumping in here telling you not to do it. Including me.

I breed crossbreeds, I specialize in it. I promise I'd tell you if I thought it was a problem.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Not only that, the story that I hear, Pygmy and Nigerian Darf goats started from the same original goat. People bred one line for a small meat goat and another line for a small dairy goat. If it is a falsehood, I haven't found it yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts