The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three does in with my buck. He is over a year old and has been running with them for 6 mos. He is aggressive and stays after them. I saw him breed a doe 5 months ago and my daughter did ultrasound. Says none are pregnant. He seems fine as far as a buck goes. Oh and I have not seem them come in heat except one doe that just had babies 3 mos ago came in and he bred her but that would only have been 2 weeks ago so to early to tell if she is prego. What's wrong ya think?

·
2,203 Posts
I have three does in with my buck. He is over a year old and has been running with them for 6 mos. He is aggressive and stays after them. I saw him breed a doe 5 months ago and my daughter did ultrasound. Says none are pregnant. He seems fine as far as a buck goes. Oh and I have not seem them come in heat except one doe that just had babies 3 mos ago came in and he bred her but that would only have been 2 weeks ago so to early to tell if she is prego. What's wrong ya think?
What breed?

·
Registered
120 Posts
What breed of goat do you have? Unless they are Nigerians then your does won't come into heat and start ovulating until the days get shorter. General rule of thumb for sheep and goats is that breeding season happens in months that end in "R", give or take a couple of weeks on either end. Five months ago he may have mounted her, but that doesn't mean there was an egg to fertilize.

·
Super Moderator
58,905 Posts
Also, if your doe gave birth 3 months ago and now she is bred again, that is really too soon. You should give them some rest from birthing and nursing kids. At most they should only be bred 3 times over a 2 year period.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK what I meant was after the babies were off then I waited 3 months. They are Nigerians. My daughter is a vet but just has not had much dealing with goats. She said keep the buck away from them for a time then put them back together. Just wanted to hear from goat people.

·
Super Moderator
58,905 Posts
I would have them all checked for infection too. If he is aggressive and breeding them often, that could lead to a uterine infection. I would probably wouldn't keep in the girls pen constantly if he is aggressive.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
They run from him he doesn't get to breed them just trys
The running from him might mean that they are bred, but just got bred. The reason I say this is because I have kinders. I brought my kinder doe in milk home in February, that very day my buck made contact. (I was told that they are seasonal breeders so wasn't expecting that) I couple weeks went by and he was chasing her down, she wanted nothing to do with him. That was a couple weeks after, so no ultrasound will pick them up at a couple weeks. She's now expecting late July. No doubt about it. I have separated my buck for now, he has wether mates, so he's good:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts