The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
by doing that you may bring her production up a little bit but probably not a whole lot.

You will also want to up her feed as well.

It is worth a try. IT also depends on how long she has been drying up

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
My mom had a Boer/Nubian cross given to her with a doeling that was still nursing(she was born in January)....her udder is full on one side the other just hangs there...she is finally drying up but I hope your doe has an udder more like a Nubians should be because this doe's is just atrocious, disfigured by "dead" teats that protrude on the rear and front of the functioning teats...just awful. We chose to dry her off because of the poor structure of th attachments and she will not ever be bred again...theres too much trauma that can happen to a girl that drags an empty udder on the gound.

·
Registered
228 Posts
3 times a day will work better until you get her production back up to a decent amount. It can be done. My favorite doe in the whole world actually earned her milking leg after she was almost completely dried off then milked 3X daily for a couple weeks. Lots of good quality grain on the stand and a free choice hay, fresh water all the time, etc....and you should get your milk back if she isn't completely dry yet.

Good luck!
Kristen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts