Bringing a milking doe back into condition after kidding

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by crocee, Mar 6, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK Tilly girl looks so skinny after kidding. Her backbone, and hip bones are very pronounced and sharp. This may be why shes not giving much milk. How do I get her weight back up without compromising her health? She weighed 120 when I got her and now she looks a lot lighter. She had good condition 3 months ago.

This is what she gets, on top of free choice grass hay. 4C 18% pellets, Alfalfa chops(changing back to pellets) 2x daily

I would like to add C.O.B. and beet pulp to her diet but I don't know what would be the correct amount.
    Could someone come up with a diet plan I can follow using:

Alfalfa pellets
    C.O.B.
    Beet pulp
    Grass hay is free choice 24/7
    And of course water.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Crocee....what she is getting is just fine. It's not been very long since she delivered and her body is still adjusting to the "post baby" demands.

Some does, regardless of how much high quality feed they get will look like milk cows, have a fecal run just in case the stress of kidding brought on a worm overload.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz..... :wink:

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK. She just looks so bad. I guess I just expected her to go back to her pre pregnancy body condition. I will get a new weight on her tomorrow and go from there.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Alot of does get down in condition like that ....I know they can look horrible.. :shocked: ..now that the babies are off of her... she should bounce back pretty quickly .....get her wormed... if it's been a while or like Liz said ...test her stools...to be positive :greengrin: .....

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    She was wormed the day after she kidded. Shes due to be wormed again 14th. I used Ivermectin. I can do a fecal in the morning. I play in poop a lot these days learning to do fecals at home.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how much grain are you feeding her? she should be getting aprox 4 cups twice a day

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    She gets 4C of 18% pellets but its not exactly grain. I have access to C.O.B. but wasn't sure how much to use. I have also changed her back to alfalfa pellets instead of the chopped stuff.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a grain is anything that isnt hay or having a specific other purpose or name (ie like beet pulp is its own thing). A grain can be in the form of pellets :)

I dont know what COB is so cant help you there.

I feed a sweet feed for grain mixing in some BOSS then Fastrack supplement once a day.

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    COB is a corn oats and barley mix and my goats love it.

11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Well my dairy goat (Saanen) who is in her 2nd freshening and still milking, is really thin. She kidded last May and is milking 1.5 litres once daily, she gets a good 3lb of grain (18%) every day, yet she wont put on any weight and you can see all her bones. She seems quite happy about it though. I think she just has a fast metabolism. She used to be chunky and fat before she got pregnant/kidded.

LW

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Tilly was nice and chunky, not fat but healthy looking, when she was first bred. I have put her back on the alfalfa pellets along with her feed pellets and little bit of COB. Shes making more milk now so she seems to need it. Her udder is quite a bit larger than it was but still small by the pictures I have seen. Its also almost completly healed. I guess kidding has boosted her healing ability. Today is fecal day so we will see whats going on internally.

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

How much protein total do you think she is getting in her diet?
    the staple to a goats diet is good quality hay. I would look at your hay before i upped her grain as it sounds as though she is getting plenty.
    beth

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The ONLY hay we can get around here is Bermuda which is very low protein. Between the 4 of them they go through 6 to 8 flakes a day. There is minimal waste as I have made waste basket hay feeders. They have to stick their nose in to get a bite. Very little on the ground. She is looking a little better at almost a week fresh but shes still pretty thin. I will get a new picture of her tomorrow when I take a picture of her udder.

15. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    They say that standard does will loose condition after kidding before slacking production whereas Nigerian Dwarfs will slack production before losing condition. Of course each goat is individual, I have seen this in my Nigerians. Some will slack off production before dropping condition. Where others will look like crap and be producing. I would do what Liz said. Check fecal and ensure she's not dealing with a parasite load and you could enrich her feed but she might just be one of the types who shows wear and tear easier while producing.

16. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    My goats are fed alfalfa hay and a grain mix of whole oats, cracked corn, BOSS, 16% dairy goat pelleta and a little sweet feed. Last year, I had a yearling who was milking pretty heavy and needed to gain, so I added a handful of Calf Manna to her milking ration and found that helped.

17. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    How much by weight or amount/part are you giving of each ingredient. We only have grass hay but she is getting alfalfa pellets.