The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Courtney @ Fox Hollow
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am fairly new to goats and have concerns about bringing in a new doe this weekend. I currently have an 8 month old Alpine doe and buck from the same herd. We will be bringing I a year old doe that is from a neighbor of ours and is currently alone :-(
Our 8 month old doe had a 4 month old companion Boer that we lost just a little while ago and she was good with her in the field but not in the stall at all. She seemed to really need her space so we had the little doe in a very large kennel at night right near the big girls stall. The year old will not fit in the kennel and I worry about the two girls really going at it in the stall. We are about a week away from more room in a new barn set up but I would really like to get this doe here so she is not alone any longer.
Any suggestions on bringing these two ladies together?
I love all the great input on this sight and learn so much by just scrolling through the posts. I do hope someone can offer some really constructive advice. Attached in a picture of Willow, our 8 month old doe who came to us a bit thin and she I getting to be in great shape. Excellent demeanor. Sweet as pie!
Just to show him off is a picture of our beautiful buck, Henry!
Thank you and I looks forward to your responses!

Attachments

·
The Belle Farm
27 Posts
Ive introduced a few new does to my original herd consisting of a buck, 2 does and 2 doelings. Im also new to goats for the past 5 months. At first they would push the new doe around and weren't nice to her at all. She hollered a lot for a few days. But after a week or so, they accepted her. I guess they have to establish their dominance. This is a great site. Everyone is so helpful with sharing their experience. Im learning a lot.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Some people quarantine a new goat for awhile to make sure they don't have any bad diseases and to worm them etc. Just thought I'd throw that out there. If it was me, when I introduced them it would be in a space where there was room to escape. Not in a stall for example. Other than that, they are going to fight it out. Do what you have to do at feed time to make sure everyone gets to eat. If you have a gate or a door somewhere, catch one and put it on the other side. Put them back together when they are done. It always amazes me how fast goats learn the feed routine and how simple the separating gets.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Congrats on the new addition! We brought home a new Lamancha doe yesterday, but she will be quarantined for a while before being introduced. I would have fecals done (and worm if needed) and test for CAE/CL if she has not already been tested. After the initial quarantine period, introduce her to a small number of your least aggressive goats. Monitor closely and offer several places to eat with room to escape if needed. For us, that will be our mother and daughter Nubian pair. Since you only have two other goats, you should be good from there. For us, I plan to introduce our Nubian whether next for a few days before introducing our dominate, bossy Alpine doe. Since we currently keep our Alpine and Nub. whether on one side of the pasture, and our Nubian kid and her mom on the other, this will be one big herd mash-up for us. I always have to be cautious with my Alpine, because she can be so aggressive and our new doe is pregnant. It is quite the ordeal! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts