The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your tips? They are staying in a pen seperate from the horses for a while. One of them is an 8 week old doe and the other is a few year old milker. What are the main things I need to have?

The black one in this pic is the adult doe.
image-1664932338.jpg

This is the doeling.
image-1861606589.jpg

So far this is the stuff on my list:
Milk pail
Baby wipes (to wipe her teats off)
Purina dairy goat parlor 18% grain
Alfalfe pellets (to use along side hay)
Teat spray
Mason Jars to store milk
Lots of wood shavings for bedding
Manna pro goat minerals
Mineral feeder (i might make one, i havent decided)
Im going to get collars for them once they are home
Hoof trimmers

I know i am forgetting stuff so let me know what I need! I work with a livestock vet who mainly does horses but he said he could get most any vaccines for me and teach me how to administer them.

Now, what dewormer should I use?
Is there any special care i should give to the baby? The owner said just cd&t vaccine and wormer every year.
What about the milker? Any special care you would give?
I have a goat stand to milk from but I was wondering if I could start teaching the baby to stand on the stand when I feed her? Should I feed her the same goat feed as the milker? Or are alfalfa pellets okay for her right now? Let me know! Im very curious and want to make sure they have the best of care!!

Attachments

·
14,615 Posts
Congrats on your new goaties they sure look great!
You are off to a good start there on your list.
Are they currently eating the Purina? If not I would keep feeding what they are used to now & slowly switch them over later.
Either way, baby can have the same feed as the doe.
Dont forget the hay!;)
As for wormer you can start out with Ivermectin, once when they come to your place & again 10 days later.
Having some probiotic paste on hand ; some goats get stressed out in a new place & go off feed. For that a bottle of B Complex if needed.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Congratulations!

Baking soda.
Iodine teat dip or spray for after milking? optional, not everyone uses it.
Separate feed pails
Measuring scoop
Treats because they might be shy at first. - this can be store bought or veggies.
Bleach (I like to clean everything at least once a week)

I also like to have on hand the stuff to make an electrolyte drink. You may not need it but I like that it's there and giving some to a goat that doesn't need it isn't a bad thing anyway.

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
If they are coming from different farms, I would be prepared for the big goat to beat up on the little one. Have places for the little one to hide from the big goat.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the b complex the probio? Also, the milker is known to be a babysitter to kids so I am hoping they get along well! What kind of teat dip or spray do you recommend? And I was planning on feeding them the feed they have been given and adding mine to it slowly. The owners are both giving me a good amount of each ones food. I am planning on feeding them both on the goat stand to get both of them used to my stand and a routine. That way hoof trims and eventually milking the young doe will be an easy normal deal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay sorry...."Having some probiotic paste on hand ; some goats get stressed out in a new place & go off feed. For that a bottle of B Complex if needed." Confused me a bit

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Not sure if you stocked your medicine cabinet yet...
Pen G , Nuflor or Draxxin , Banamine , Apple Cider Vinegar is a must have.
Mineral Oil , thermometer , eye wash , wound spray , wound wash ,
Bag Balm , epson salt , Nutri Drench , Red Cell ....there's lots more but I cant keep my eyes open , lol I keep a notebook handy at my desk for little notes and ideas I get from TGS , comes in real handy when you need to know something in a hurry , like normal temp , heart rate and all that.
Fiasco Farms has a great page on what is normal for goats .
Good luck with your new goats , they are adorable , enjoy them :D
TGS has a wealth of information , along with a great bunch of people :)
Keep us posted and be sure to take more pictures :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure if you stocked your medicine cabinet yet...
Pen G , Nuflor or Draxxin , Banamine , Apple Cider Vinegar is a must have.
Mineral Oil , thermometer , eye wash , wound spray , wound wash ,
Bag Balm , epson salt , Nutri Drench , Red Cell ....there's lots more but I cant keep my eyes open , lol I keep a notebook handy at my desk for little notes and ideas I get from TGS , comes in real handy when you need to know something in a hurry , like normal temp , heart rate and all that.
Fiasco Farms has a great page on what is normal for goats .
Good luck with your new goats , they are adorable , enjoy them :D
TGS has a wealth of information , along with a great bunch of people :)
Keep us posted and be sure to take more pictures :)
Could you tell me what each of those things would be used for? Im a bit lost lol

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Im sorry honey :)
Basically they are antibiotics , your basic wound care items , banamine is for pain and fever . Bag balm is a antiseptic , people use it as well :) Epson salts can be added to a electrolyte mix along with the apple cider vinegar
( ACV ) are the initials you may see in some threads . Pen G is penicillin . Mineral oil is good to and use for lube if nothing else is available , like during kidding. And in sometimes used for bloat .
FYI , never give mineral oil in a syringe or forcefully down the throat cause they cant taste it and dont know to swallow , it will go directly into their lungs.. It can be mixed with something so they will taste it.
I think that is all that I mentioned, Im sure I left things out and someone will add to it. Im sorry for adding so much to your list. But I feel these are things that are needed and should be available to you just in case :) I think your one up on things as it is cause you work for a livestock vet ;) Your in good hands already ;)
I would panic if I didnt have a certain item since my vet is not very far away , but I still would spend time getting the meds or getting the goat to him , so I rather have these things on hand in case time isnt on our side. I wish you all the luck and just enjoy them , they are the most wonderful creatures IMO. :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the first thing on my list is red top blood tubes to get them tested for johnes, cl and cae while you have them quarantined even better if you can have them tested before you get them. then you wont have to worry about starting out with a clean herd. and yes i know that she may get a false positive an the doeling. i am 60+ i've had goats since i was a small child. in the spring my family always tested and vacinnated every species on the farm as the test or vaccine became available. it's just as much a part of being a responsible owner as regular maintenace. i love that doeling!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The mom of the doeling is negative to all those and the adult milker has already been tested just for my purchase of her. She is all clear! The milker's name is Kachina and the doeling is Lina.

·
558 Posts
Congrats!! I bet you are counting down the days....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts