The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to bring my Nigerian, Tilly, to a farm to get bred today. I have a few questions.
1: I am not sure if she is in heat. She has been showing some interest in the buck rag the past few days, but not a crazy amount. Will meeting the buck bring her into standing heat? And will she get pregnant her very first breeding?
2: if we dont see her get bred, should we leave her at the farm with the buck? For how long?
3: what would I do for feeding? Would it be fair to ask the owner of the buck to take Tilly out and feed her her separate food?
4: I know about the potential of disease. Neither of use have tested herds or registered or anything like that. Just backyard homestead goats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
good questions that don't have firm answers.
i recommend a drive by breading. do not leave her a the farm.
Tilly may be going out of heat the best time is 24 hours after she shows interest in the rag
You will see her get breed. goats don't wast time. you will know that the buck has ejaculated when it looks like he is about to fall over backwards. Wait ten minutes they will do it again.
mark the date she first showed interest. add 21 days and watch her for renewed interest in the rag around that time.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
59,313 Posts
I have left my girls at a farm for 30 days. I don't have males here and heats are not visible. I just have homestead type goats too. I have specific breeders I trust. I either leave my girls for 30 days and pay board or the male stays at my house for 30 days. Ultimately you have to do what works for you. You have to decide what risks are worth taking and which risks aren't.
 

·
Fair-Haven
Joined
·
4,799 Posts
Driveway breedings won't work unless your girl is in standing heat. I would take the time to try to find a breeder that tests, and you can test your girl as well. Then leave for 30 days. Watch the set up as far as penning, feeding etc. You can waste a lot of time and money just trying to wing it - let alone potential for chlamydia, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,449 Posts
Another suggestion is A.I. If you have a vet or college with Agriculture classes.
But to breed with an untested buck is risky.
All the above information is awesome. Just suggesting an option you may or may not be aware of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to bring her today... change of plans. Shes going Wednesday. We'll see how she reacts to the buck and see if she gets bred, or if we'll bring her back, or leave her there. Thank you all for your responses.
I was going to do driveway breeding, but I havnt seen any noticable heats. Tuesday was the first day she showed interest in the buck rag. Before that whenever I pulled it out she would run away, but now every time I show it to her she sniffs and licks it. But no tail wagging or overly excited behavior, so I'm not sure. I was hoping she would get more excited but it's been the same every day now, maybe she just got used to it?
When I think my younger goat went into heat she was mounting the other 2 and tail wagging so it was pretty obvious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: I took her to the farm to get bred on Wednesday. She is there now. The owner said she is showing more interest in the buck today.
Before she left I took pictures of her. Just a reassurance. Not that I dont trust the owner of the buck.

So far so good. Debating on whether I should breed my Nubian in December. I'm really worried about parasites in June when she would Kidd. What are your thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,743 Posts
So far so good. Debating on whether I should breed my Nubian in December. I'm really worried about parasites in June when she would Kidd. What are your thoughts?
I have found earlier kids to grow better, so I try to avoid kidding that late.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,012 Posts
Debating on whether I should breed my Nubian in December. I'm really worried about parasites in June when she would Kidd. What are your thoughts?
December would give you May kids.
Why don't you breed her earlier if you are worried?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update!
Great news! Took Tilly back to the breeders today to get an ultrasound, and we saw at least two! I'm so excited! Fingers crossed we get the permanent goat shed up before she kids.

I am worried about something though.
So I got Tilly and Willow first this spring. They bonded and were best friends. Then I got Stella a month and a half later. They accepted Stella and liked her, but the first two were always best friends.
Then I took Tilly to get bred over a month ago, she stayed with the buck for 2 weeks, and when she got back Willow didn't like her anymore! Willow has gotten a little aggressive towards Tilly. Willow has horns which concerns me, because she will ram Tilly in the stomach with little or no provocation.
It's like she needs to protect Stella ( now her bestie) from Tilly (who is not aggressive at all ) im worried Willow ramming Tillys tummy will harm Tillys babies.
I don't have a way to separate them, as I only have one pen and three goats. I'm taking Stella to get bred some time next week, so I'm hoping some alone time for the two of them will help them bond again end everything will go back to normal?

Anyone have suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
Anytime I take a goat out for more than a few days they beat each other up a lot when I put her back in. Reestablishing the hierarchy. I would watch them for a few days and if it doesn’t get any better than maybe find a way to separate them or possibly put pool noodles on the horned goat if your concerned because of the horns. That’s why I have a rule: All horned goats or no horned goats. It gives everyone a fair fight.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top