Bringing my goat to get bred.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Kass, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I am going to bring my Nigerian, Tilly, to a farm to get bred today. I have a few questions.
    1: I am not sure if she is in heat. She has been showing some interest in the buck rag the past few days, but not a crazy amount. Will meeting the buck bring her into standing heat? And will she get pregnant her very first breeding?
    2: if we dont see her get bred, should we leave her at the farm with the buck? For how long?
    3: what would I do for feeding? Would it be fair to ask the owner of the buck to take Tilly out and feed her her separate food?
    4: I know about the potential of disease. Neither of use have tested herds or registered or anything like that. Just backyard homestead goats.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Don’t have experience or advice, just bumping this thread for you.
    Good luck!

Moers kiko boars, Kass and Iluvlilly! like this.

3. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    good questions that don't have firm answers.
    i recommend a drive by breading. do not leave her a the farm.
    Tilly may be going out of heat the best time is 24 hours after she shows interest in the rag
    You will see her get breed. goats don't wast time. you will know that the buck has ejaculated when it looks like he is about to fall over backwards. Wait ten minutes they will do it again.
    mark the date she first showed interest. add 21 days and watch her for renewed interest in the rag around that time.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have left my girls at a farm for 30 days. I don't have males here and heats are not visible. I just have homestead type goats too. I have specific breeders I trust. I either leave my girls for 30 days and pay board or the male stays at my house for 30 days. Ultimately you have to do what works for you. You have to decide what risks are worth taking and which risks aren't.

5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Driveway breedings won't work unless your girl is in standing heat. I would take the time to try to find a breeder that tests, and you can test your girl as well. Then leave for 30 days. Watch the set up as far as penning, feeding etc. You can waste a lot of time and money just trying to wing it - let alone potential for chlamydia, etc.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Another suggestion is A.I. If you have a vet or college with Agriculture classes.
    But to breed with an untested buck is risky.
    All the above information is awesome. Just suggesting an option you may or may not be aware of.

MadHouse likes this.
  8. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I was going to bring her today... change of plans. Shes going Wednesday. We'll see how she reacts to the buck and see if she gets bred, or if we'll bring her back, or leave her there. Thank you all for your responses.
    I was going to do driveway breeding, but I havnt seen any noticable heats. Tuesday was the first day she showed interest in the buck rag. Before that whenever I pulled it out she would run away, but now every time I show it to her she sniffs and licks it. But no tail wagging or overly excited behavior, so I'm not sure. I was hoping she would get more excited but it's been the same every day now, maybe she just got used to it?
    When I think my younger goat went into heat she was mounting the other 2 and tail wagging so it was pretty obvious.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She is just not in season yet, is my guess.
    Buck scent brings does in stronger heats, when they smell it.

10. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Update: I took her to the farm to get bred on Wednesday. She is there now. The owner said she is showing more interest in the buck today.
    Before she left I took pictures of her. Just a reassurance. Not that I dont trust the owner of the buck.

So far so good. Debating on whether I should breed my Nubian in December. I'm really worried about parasites in June when she would Kidd. What are your thoughts?

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  11. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    I have found earlier kids to grow better, so I try to avoid kidding that late.

12. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

December would give you May kids.
    Why don’t you breed her earlier if you are worried?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  13. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I counted wrong lol. She would only be old enough in December. So it would be December, January, or wait till next year.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.