British Alpine Bucks, pics of Buck no 2 pg 2

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Gumtree, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    Ok so I've been looking for a dairy buck,

And I've found a few,

I want you to bluntly tell me what you think of them.....

Because I can only have one buck for my stud, so don't want to make any mistakes....

they all are registered with the Dgsa...
    so hear go's

2. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Re: British Alpine Bucks

as far as general appearance he's nice.. but her udder is so low and the attachments are less than favorable. but i know the aussie goats have those issues.. how much does she milk?

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC

I like him, I think his markings are very regal and his head and ears are upright. Moms teats look right to me. IMO I would really consider him. Since I am first up at bat it will be interesting to see what other opinions are. Best of luck in what ever you choose.

5. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia

1.8 lites this am,

6. Saanens N Alpines

Saanens N Alpines New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI

I agree on the dam that her udder attachment and udder shape doesn't look too good, and the teats point to the sides. She looks short bodied and her back isn't straight, but she is standing weird so that may be the problem. The little buck is pretty and his sire looks pretty nice, but could use a more level rump area. That seems like a lot of money for him judging by his dam for sure.

7. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia

yeah, know what you mean about the goats,
    i'm sota a bit hesitant :chin: :scratch:
    I'm waiting on photo's from another stud at the moment, the are going to send them next week, there goats are winning a lot of shows too,
    they have 2 b.a bucks available, at $400 each
    this is a link to there stud page
    http://www.dairygoatsqld.org.au/weblauriebrook.htm

this is the page to the show list, if anyone feels like looking through it, (i don't know anything about shows) they've won at,
    Kingaroy, Toowoomba Royal, Mt Gravatt, Kalbar, Ipswich, Gatton, Beenleigh, Caboulture, Boonah, Royal Brisbane,
    http://www.dairygoatsqld.org.au/qld%20show%20index.htm

thanks, Shirrelle

8. Saanens N Alpines

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI

I didn't find a stud page at the first link, but the pictured goats look really nice.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

a "stud" in Australia is a "Farm" not like stud like we think of as "the buck" stud. ;)

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

1.8 liters isn't too bad.. but looking atthedoes they have listed on that stud page make me hesitant.. do you see that udder on the saanen doe O.O i think if the BA does match that or even come close i'd go with them :)

11. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio

If his price were more around $250 or $300 it would not be a bad idea, but I dont think I would pay $400 for him. Just my thought on this. :shrug:

12. Saanens N Alpines

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI

Oh, LOL! Thanks for letting me know that. :laugh:

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

took me a while to realize this too :doh: dont feel bad. I think I figured it out over this past summer

14. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia

I wasn't aware of "that" fact till Stacey mentioned it, :-(

I have 3 other bucks I'm looking at....they will be sending photos next week...(apparently they don't have a camera) :roll:
    these bucks are the same price $400,
    From what I think are better lineage
    Lauriebrooks the above mentioned stud....erm..."farm" :scratch:
    and another Stud lol
    they are an hour further away....but because I don't have top does....I really want to get a good buck.....do you think that is a goood idea??? :ponder: :ponder: :chin:

Also i'm very excited about this, I am now officially
    "Bushland Dairy Goat Stud" :eek:hlala: :lovey:
    registered with the DGSA :leap: :laugh: :wahoo:

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Congrats on the name :)

16. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

even if you had super top does.. i'd still buy the best buck possible

17. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia

thats what I thought....I think I'll tell her sorry but no thanks :)

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

I like the little buck and his mum ... my main grievance and why I wouldnt use him is I'd expect her to be producing more than that. A really good alpine should milk like a saanen, so I'd be looking at 5 - 8 L daily. Her udder is reasonable IF she is as old as she looks. But due to the yield I would pass on this guy.

Why did you choose to go with a BA? Are you going to breed your nubians to a nuby buck? Or just go all BA?

One thing to bear in mind with the BA is that due to the smaller gene pool, the breed isn't as phenotypically correct as the saanen. You could search the entire country and probably not find a BA as good as a saanen. You should be able to find a BA with an udder as good as a saanen, and that milks as well as a saanen. But, the breed weaknesses in general are tendencies towards: a) sloped rump, b) weak back, c) fine bone. So if you decide to go the BA route, spend plenty of time looking for a good buck. Lots of breeders are starting to outcross their BAs to saanens to try to improve the quality.

19. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia

Yeah I wasn't happy with that amount of milk either, Plus she's got a lopsided udder an looks scruffy....(I don't thinks She's very old - not sure though)

Mainly because I like Toggenburgs & British Alpines, (like mellans an browns too)
    but I've heard that Toggs are hard to manage....so I thought I'd get a B.A.
    I only have one pure nubian doe, most are crossbred..... so they're just going to get a bit more crossed.....(I know it's sounds mad....but no lectures on it please :) )
    I'll probably run a mixed herd of does for a while....just picking up what I can here & there.

yeah...I've got three more bucks in line waiting on info....
    Will need to watch it I guess, don't intend to show at the moment,
    Mainly running herd for pleasure, and long term goals :)

20. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah

The kids markings are great. My first impression of Mom was that the teats point out. Teats that point out are not the easiest to milk. Just because Moms teats are like that doesn't mean her kids would be. I have had my best milker give me a doe that had a small udder and teats. The buck is beautiful I love the beard.
    Suellen