broken horn pygmy is causing problems again....

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Dec 26, 2007.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok, everyone knows about the little pygmy that I had banded and her one horn broke off and I felt so bad.....

Then her other horn broke about 2 weeks ago.

We took a disbudding iron to it, and I gave her a pen injection for 3 days. Appitite and everything was doing good.

I noticed last night that there was a clear fluid filled bubble on top of where she had broke the last horn off. It also had a small amount of white fluid inside the clear. I wiped it off - and it reminded me of an egg white consistancy. I put antibiotic cream on it, yet there was no foul smell, no puss, and no green.

Tonight, she had the same thing. It is about the size of a marble of this fluid stuff. Well I wiped it off again tonight, and went to put the cream on it and noticed that there was a hole about the size of pen tip.

I am thinking it goes into her sinus'..... could that be correct?? What can I do for her? It is freezing here, and she has no temp and eating and drinking well. No green, no puss, just thick clear fluid with a hint of white. The hole looks to small to pack with anything.

Please let me know if there is something else I should do for her. I hate to give her a bunch of antibiotics cause she is prego.

Thanks All!!!!!
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I do believe this is normal. But goathappy may have some ideas for you on how to treat it

3. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    You are correct that it goes to the sinuses. If you are unsure, and because it's a sensitive area, I would call the vet and doublecheck that it's okay.
  4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    When her horns broke off, was it hollow? If it was, this fluid you are talking of is normal, its like a filler to fill in the hollowness in her head. Gus was blowing bubbles out his head for a while till the hole closed up. If it doesn't smell and it isn't yellow then she should be fine.
  5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you all!!

We didn't notice it when the horn first broke off because there was a lot of coagulated blood over the top and she would FREAK out if we even put our hand near her, even to grab her collar.

That is when I was told that I could use the disbudding iron, and it would help with the pain. I did this and it did seem to help alot, but somehow, she managed to knock the scab off, so last night was the first time I noticed the hole.

I will let it be and just watch it very closely for infection.

Thanks again everyone!!!