The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, everyone knows about the little pygmy that I had banded and her one horn broke off and I felt so bad.....

Then her other horn broke about 2 weeks ago.

We took a disbudding iron to it, and I gave her a pen injection for 3 days. Appitite and everything was doing good.

I noticed last night that there was a clear fluid filled bubble on top of where she had broke the last horn off. It also had a small amount of white fluid inside the clear. I wiped it off - and it reminded me of an egg white consistancy. I put antibiotic cream on it, yet there was no foul smell, no puss, and no green.

Tonight, she had the same thing. It is about the size of a marble of this fluid stuff. Well I wiped it off again tonight, and went to put the cream on it and noticed that there was a hole about the size of pen tip.

I am thinking it goes into her sinus'..... could that be correct?? What can I do for her? It is freezing here, and she has no temp and eating and drinking well. No green, no puss, just thick clear fluid with a hint of white. The hole looks to small to pack with anything.

Please let me know if there is something else I should do for her. I hate to give her a bunch of antibiotics cause she is prego.

Thanks All!!!!!

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
When her horns broke off, was it hollow? If it was, this fluid you are talking of is normal, its like a filler to fill in the hollowness in her head. Gus was blowing bubbles out his head for a while till the hole closed up. If it doesn't smell and it isn't yellow then she should be fine.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all!!

We didn't notice it when the horn first broke off because there was a lot of coagulated blood over the top and she would FREAK out if we even put our hand near her, even to grab her collar.

That is when I was told that I could use the disbudding iron, and it would help with the pain. I did this and it did seem to help alot, but somehow, she managed to knock the scab off, so last night was the first time I noticed the hole.

I will let it be and just watch it very closely for infection.

Thanks again everyone!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts