Broken Horn

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by deenak, Mar 19, 2009.

1. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Lillie our pygmy goat has broken the last two inches off of one of her horns. It is now very sharp and she is not afraid to use it on the back of my knees. Can I file it flat or do I need to take her to the vet and have them do something?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you can file it down or even band it off

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Does it look easy to file down without hurting the tissue...if you start to file it... do you think it may start to bleed?
    I can't say for sure if you should do it....because I can't physically see the horn....pics may help.....It is definitely your decision and if you have any doubts ...I recommend a vet do it.... :wink:

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would file it down as long as it's not bleeding. If it starts to bleed when you are filing it then stop. If you have a disbudder then I would heat it up before you start filing just in case you make her bleed. Then you can just cauterize any bleeding.

5. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    How far down can you go before it is live tissue? She is a very ornery goat so filing it will be difficult no matter who does it.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    like RunAround has suggested ....you can have a cauterizer ready just in case.. :shrug: ..All you can do is start filing and see how far you can go ...until it bleeds or it may not...to get the sharpness of the horn smooth... :wink:

7. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I don't have a disbudding iron is there anything else I can use if it starts to bleed?

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    A really really hot soldering iron will work in a pinch.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If you can post a picture of the horn or if you can see how far down the blood line is, just make sure you do not go to it.