The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a doe about 1-2, who I noticed was hiding in the shed and wasn't coming out,may e she was fighting with another doe,horn is broke and just dangling,was bloody ,sprayed with blue kote to keep flies off,she's eating and seems fine,I heard off this happening,will it grow back normal ??

·
Member with a bahhh
2,427 Posts
Gosh it looks like it broke completely away from the scull. So its real moveable? Is there any way you could get it back into position? It may heal back that way but I'm not sure. Might have to be removed if it won't heal you don't want to trap an infection in the sinus cavity.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It kinda just hangs,it doesn't look like there is a hole,looks like a little nub under there

·
Member with a bahhh
2,427 Posts
That's probably a piece of horn growth under there. I've only removed a large scur once so I can't say for sure but if its not connected by much I would just take it off or it might cause more problems then anything. Especualy if you can lift the horn if I heard you correctly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used to have a boer wether that was dehorned wrong and his would grow about an inch or two then fall off and bleed then grow right back and do it all over again. But im sure since she has horns that have been there a while they are probably more attached to the skull? Im not sure but good luck with her, someone on here probably has had it happen before and can help more than i can. Good luck. :)

·
Member with a bahhh
2,427 Posts
Then I would get some blood stop and cut it off. Some people wrap the head some don't its up to you. It's not very likely to heal if the entire bone or horn cap is separated from the scull.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thankyou,I will see how she is in the morning

Probably have to remove it,wonder if it will regrow,probably

·
Registered
200 Posts
We had one of our babies this year around 2 months old who caught his horn and tore it almost all the way off. It bled a lot, the vet told us to put blood stop powder on it to stop the bleeding. We did that and eventually since it kept catching on things, I clipped the horn since it was just hanging by some skin. I sprayed Blue Kote on it and it healed without any issues. There was a nub there like you described and it has continued to grow. It's just a little shorter than his other horn. Good luck!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thankyou for your input,good to know it should heal,always nice to here from someone with experience

·
Registered
104 Posts
Usually when the horn is broken off from the root (skull) it's unfortunately won't grow back. I suggest taking him to a vet to get it removed to prevent unwanted bleeding it you could do it yourself if you feel confident about what you will do. The skin that's holding it is probably numb. So I myself would cut from there.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The horn was just hanging by skin,I gave her a shot of banamine,snipped it off and sprayed with bluekote,doing ok,kinda hanging by herself,she did come out to eat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts