The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LD Ranch
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we noticed that Taylor's horn was broken. She's eating fine but she has been acting distant from the rest of the herd and won't let us near her. My dad had to chase her to spray bluekote on her horn...is there anything else we can do for her? Do we leave the horn just hanging ?

Attachments

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
If you can get her in a small pen so you wont stress her out chasing her....Give her a shot of Banamine for pain (cause you know its gotta hurt!!) this is why she is staying away from the others..she needs a place to rest, eat drink for a day or two...Also whie penned up..I would finish her job...it hanging like that can get caught and snagged...BOY that will hurt even more...so snipit off if its hanging...use sharp Nippers..go quick and hopefully one quick snip will do it..if its hanging from a large piece a nipper cant handle there are a wire saw ( I think called bone saw)..Its hard to use IMO and the goat usually ends up pulling away and ripping off the piece..but it does need to be cut off...blukote it again once done..offer cool water and also a bucket of Electrolytes so she can choose..The banamine should help her want to eat but I would also give her b complex...
Best wishes

·
LD Ranch
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can get her in a small pen so you wont stress her out chasing her....Give her a shot of Banamine for pain (cause you know its gotta hurt!!) this is why she is staying away from the others..she needs a place to rest, eat drink for a day or two...Also whie penned up..I would finish her job...it hanging like that can get caught and snagged...BOY that will hurt even more...so snipit off if its hanging...use sharp Nippers..go quick and hopefully one quick snip will do it..if its hanging from a large piece a nipper cant handle there are a wire saw ( I think called bone saw)..Its hard to use IMO and the goat usually ends up pulling away and ripping off the piece..but it does need to be cut off...blukote it again once done..offer cool water and also a bucket of Electrolytes so she can choose..The banamine should help her want to eat but I would also give her b complex...
Best wishes
What about Penicillin?

·
Registered
78 Posts
No liquamycin la 200

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
The break is high up and it doesnt look like the sinus cavity is exposed...so I wouldnt give antibiotics at this point...if she begins to run a fever or it looks infected then yes..I would choose Penicillin....;)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
The break is high up and it doesnt look like the sinus cavity is exposed...so I wouldnt give antibiotics at this point...if she begins to run a fever or it looks infected then yes..I would choose Penicillin....;)
I agree its just going to stress her out more with giving the shots and may end up hurting her horn more when she runs from you, because we all know they learn fast that you have that mean shot in your hand. It looks like it hurts but I bet she will be just fine, I agree about keeping the flys off as well, those suckers are nasty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts