The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Tomorrow is the big day, he's finally getting his cast off :) He has had no x-rays in the 6 weeks since it broke, but we hope everything healed well.

I was wondering if people had experience of goats getting casts removed and then travelling home in the car. Its just this goat will be so excited about not having this heavy cast on. Our neighbour suggested a hood to blindfold him if he seems too jumpy on the drive home, he said he used to capture and relocate deer and they blindfolded them to keep them chill, what do you think?

·
8,393 Posts
Ask the vet if it should be wrapped in vet wrap or an ace bandage, etc. to give it some support. Since he is from a feral herd, he may be a bit wild! Probably, he will not walk on the healed leg, it will feel funny and he may be reluctant to put any weight on it, at first. Or, he may just take it all in stride!

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Yay, cast is off! That’s great.😁
Its taken about 4 weeks now for Queenie to get back to normal. Watch his ankle it’s probably pretty stiff and will need to be stretched and massaged to get it to loosen up. I found Letting Queenie out with the herd starting with an hour a day, then two hours a day, then three, worked well and she didn’t become too sore or strained. I do notice that occasionally still she’ll favor her leg and a make her take a time out. I hope your boy does well and is excited to be a goat again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, it wasn't the result we were hoping for. The x-ray showed that while there is good healing and calcification of the bone, the leg did not set straight and the bones have healed side by side. The vet has told us this means any weight on the leg at this point may mean it re-breaks because of how the bones are healed. So he re-plastered it and said ANOTHER 4 to 6 weeks. This is kind of depressing tbh because Spring is our rainiest season and keeping plaster dry while still allowing him outside is tough. Oh well

·
8,393 Posts
Sorry that things aren't going so great. Hopefully the next month goes by quickly and uneventfully for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thank you. Although I'm disappointed, I hope in the end its for the best and he'll be fine

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
From the x-ray it looks too calcified now after 6 weeks. It's annoying because I rang the vet at 4 weeks we were meant to get x-rays at 4 weeks but they said don't worry, just leave it to 6 weeks.
Anyways in good news he was fine in the car perfectly chill Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Mode of transport

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Oh man, I’m sorry you and your goat have to go through even more time in the cast. What a disappointment.

He looks like he’s been in a car a thousand times in that picture. He seems happy and comfortable. I think it’s the trust he has developed in you extending to new surroundings as long as you’re there too. He sure is a handsome goat. And he’s lucky to have you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Updating with (hopefully) a happy end to the saga :) Winston pulled his cast off today somehow, and the leg looks fine. It will be exactly 10 weeks since he broke it this Friday. The 2nd cast was on for about 3 and a bit weeks. He walks ok (little limp) and he has a couple of sores near his ankle where the cast must have rubbed, but the break area feels straight and just a small bump.
So cross fingers, he is now all good and no more problems with this little goat! After what seems like forever and a lot of $$$ later, he is now cast free and appears healed :)
In the pic, the back leg closest to the camera is the one that broke, straight across half way up. It is slightly shorter than the other one but you can see it looks good. I'm so relieved!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 43 Posts