broken leg

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nhsmallfarmer, Dec 9, 2009.

1. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    went out this am to feed up, Cassidy was laying outside, weird seeing its snowing and we are in got 12 - 18 inches of snow today
    she gets up hopping in to eat on 3 legs :?
    I feel her leg, BROKE from knee down, hoof is out of line, then I notice the hay rack is half hanging,

being we are in a snow storm and goat vets r impossible to find, hubby and I took daughters soccer shin guards and fashion up a splitn from her knee down, wrapping it in ace bangage, gave her one asprin

anything else? I know I will not be able to get a vet around here. how ofter should I give her asprin? I will check it in a few days to make sure its not swelling anymore.

she isnt a show goat just a farm goat that I was going to bred next fall (she was born 3/09) so if she has a crooked leg, im ok with that.

anyone know of anything else I can do from home in the middle of a snow storm?

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Oh poor thing!!! I know what you mean about the snow- I hope this isnt an indication of what the rest of the winter will be like!!!

Do you have any banamine, that would help with pain and swelling better than aspirin would.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can give her more then one aspirin

Yes Banamine would be most effective but if you dont have it thats understandable.

can she laydown at all?

4. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    yes stacey,
    she does lay down and get up, ive seen her eat too.

she is 8 months old about 75 pounds gave her 1 81 mg asprin how many can she have at once and how often?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    full size adult dairy goats can have up to 6 adult aspirin without it being an issue

I would give her 2 adult aspirin to help with the pain.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Just remember that it takes a lot more aspirins because they are goats. I gave grain to my girl when I had to give aspirins.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You mentioned it was twisted.....not aligned..... you will need to set the leg :( ...make sure.. you align it ...before you cast it.... make sure ... the leg is getting circulation.....that.. it is warm... not cold.....sometimes ...if not straightened... it cuts off ..the main arteries to the leg....and it will die(the leg).... also... if not straightened.. the goat will be crippled...have difficulty getting bred ...or getting around ........if it is cold.... she will loose it.. give tetanus shot or CD&T if it has been a while.... keep the goat from trying to walk on it... to much....confining her in a smaller area will be good for her.... Banamine is ideal for pain and swelling.....

You may want to ...start antibiotics as well.... :wink:

here is a great link for people that do not have access to a vet ......
    http://goat-link.com/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=159

Give some Calcium... to help repair...the break...

8. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    update:
    Cassidy has been laying down and getting up on her own since we "doctored" her up.
    shes eating, chewing her cud ect.

when we put the splint on her leg she was standing so we were able to get the hoof pretty straight. its a little swollen and warm.

how much penicillan would you say to give her? I will have to get some tomorrow. we lent ours out, 2 months ago to so folks 3 miles from here when their calf was sick and they havent returned it yet :veryangry:

so as far as her personallity she is still the same ole cassidy with a bandaged up leg. Im taking that as a very good sign.

thanks everyone

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Here is the dosage on aspirin:
    "goats can have up too 100 mg/kg of aspirin - therefore a 20 lbs goat (roughly 10 kg) can have 1000 mgs of aspirin - like 3 regular strength kind"

You will need to feel down the length of the leg to make sure the bones are in place. I would highly recommend getting her to a vet. I know of several in NH who will work on goats. Not even I mess with broken bones and I do a lot of my own health care on my goats.

10. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Cassidy is doing pretty well today, she gets up and down with no trouble, eating wonderfully, she does try to get away from me when I get near her, as she thinks I'm gonna bother her leg again. I felt up by her hoof an her leg is still warm I believe her blood is flowing nicely. Im gonna leave the cast onfor atleast 4 weeks then redo it
    thanks

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    glad Cassidy is doing OK.... I will pray.... that she heals properly ..... :pray: :hug:

12. Kat@Redbud

[email protected] New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    SW MO
    how much Banamine ? for a broken leg

13. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    We dealt with a pup with a broken leg, we weren't able to get her to the vet..We made a poultus out of comfrey..also called bone knit for it's abilities to heal broken bones..If you have some, or a neighbor has some and you can dig it up, mix some root with water till it's pastey and slop it on her leg, then wrap it loosly..It will harden like a cast..I sure hope she is doing good. I know the feeling of not being able to get your animals vetted...
    also if you can get Arnica...it is great for mustle soreness and bruising...helps promote healing!!