broken scurs

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Feb 13, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am not sure why, but it seems like almost all of my goats have horn scurs and they seem to be breaking them for some reason.

I had Daisie - who was banded and she broke both of hers at different times

Then it was Gabe - who is pure white.

Now it is Joe Dirt - his mullet has gotten so big and I didn't realize his scurs were also growing rapidly. well he has now broke one of his. Monday is when he did it and the scur was laying again his head. I was supposed to pick up a dehorning iron last night to fix it and got all the way home and forgot to get it - but when I got home, he had it completely off and his whole mullet and down the side of his face was pure blood. I cleaned him up (mind you he was NOT happy about it), gave him another anitbiotic injection, and put a little blood stop on it. There was only one little spot that was bleeding.

He was still headbutting everyone and must not be bothering him to badly -

I just wish that these guys didn't have scurs - it is so frustrating!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    scurs usally are not held on with a sturdy base so they break off more easily then a normal horn would.

sometimes there is blood - as you experienced and other times it is very minimal to no blood.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Dottie, who will be two in June this year, has a little one growing about the size of bean. I wonder if it will keep getting bigger and if I should do something about it now.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    more then likely it will just fall off within the year

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    ETJ, we have does that have little scurs like that, they lose them once a year with little blood loss so its really not a big deal.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    another

Now I came home again tonight to find Gabe hit his other scur now also! So now not only does he have brown spots on his back from synging his hair on the heat light, now he had blood on his head -

AND HE IS WHITE!!! This is crazy - I give up!