Broody Chickens?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Di, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK, I have two broody hens. They have been sitting in a nest for over a week now. I had hoped they'd get tired of this by now...I've chased them out of the nest a couple of times...but they keep going back. Any suggestions, my rooster was killed by an oppossum last fall so these eggs are infertile. Someone told me to dunk them in a bucket of cold water? What would you do?
  2. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    I would pen them up away from the broody place. Or block off the place were they are going broody at.

Im not sure about dunking them in water , but to me it sounds like it it will not work

3. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    You could always send them to me...Im hopeing and praying some of my bantams will go broody.Ive got tons of fertile eggs but not broody hens :hair: and I want baby chicks...
  4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh pooh, it must be something in the there's another one! I wish I could give them to you! What a pain.
  5. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    The easiest way to stop a hen from being broody is to keep her away from the nest. I usually will move the food outside and shut the coop during the day for a few days and that seems to work for me. I know others who cgae them for a few days to keep them out of the nest so you could try that too.
  6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Yes, locking them away from the nest seems to help.

I don't think the cold water would work either.
  7. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I've heard multiple people suggest putting a broody in a wire cage for a few days or week. Give her plenty of food and fresh water, of course.

Generally after a short time period of not having the nest to sit on she'll zap herself out of it.