The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have two broody hens. They have been sitting in a nest for over a week now. I had hoped they'd get tired of this by now...I've chased them out of the nest a couple of times...but they keep going back. Any suggestions, my rooster was killed by an oppossum last fall so these eggs are infertile. Someone told me to dunk them in a bucket of cold water? What would you do?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would pen them up away from the broody place. Or block off the place were they are going broody at.

Im not sure about dunking them in water , but to me it sounds like it it will not work

·
Registered
344 Posts
You could always send them to me...Im hopeing and praying some of my bantams will go broody.Ive got tons of fertile eggs but not broody hens :hair: and I want baby chicks...

·
Registered
182 Posts
The easiest way to stop a hen from being broody is to keep her away from the nest. I usually will move the food outside and shut the coop during the day for a few days and that seems to work for me. I know others who cgae them for a few days to keep them out of the nest so you could try that too.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I've heard multiple people suggest putting a broody in a wire cage for a few days or week. Give her plenty of food and fresh water, of course.

Generally after a short time period of not having the nest to sit on she'll zap herself out of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts