The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broody RIR hen hatched 2 chicks yesterday and today is out and about with them...but she left the entire other nest of about 14 eggs...if they are "good" eggs and I took the chicks would she go back and sit on them?

Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not in my experience. She’s chosen to concentrate on her chicks and will only fret that she doesn’t have them anymore. I’d incubate the rest, she might just take them all.

·
Registered
528 Posts
No your best bet is to put then in an incubator or under another broody. I had the same situation but fortunately only 3 eggs total 2 hatched 1 was not ready. Fortunately I had another mom that had been sitting for a week or more and a second that just went broody so we did some musical eggs I swapped the 1 egg with 2 of hers and gave those 2 to the other hen. Then over the next few days I kept removing 2-3 eggs and giving then to the other hen. She only had 6-7 at the time. The egg hatched about a day or 2 later, I really don't know why as they where all set the same day.

Anyways, yeah if you don't have another broody or an incubator try to contact some friends or neighbors. I have had hens off nest for the better part of a day, both taking breaks and abandoning eggs, and they still hatch fine. Worse case, the are instructions online for makeshift incubators. But you will need reliable thermometers for that.

The is a very slim chance if her chicks can get back into the same nest she made rest there with her babies, in this case if another does hatch the is a good chance of her accepting it, but it will be difficult for the later hatch as the older 2 will already be more active.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts