The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, hopefully pregnant. My newest addition Buttercup has spent the past 4 weeks with Joyce at Kivuli Kids Farm and one of her bucks, Beau, and of course waited until Sunday July 28th to come into heat. Joyce said that it was a very light heat and that Beau wasn't in full rut yet so Buttercup may not have taken to the breeding, but they definitely did the deed so I'm crossing my fingers that she, is pregnant. Buttercup is a 15 months old Nigerian and this is her first time. It is also my first time having a pregnant animal and I'm so excited! And a little nervous. If she ends up coming back into heat Joyce said I can bring her back, but I'm worried that if she does I won't recognize the signs and just carry on til December thinking she is pregnant. I know there are blood tests you can do but don't necessarily want to spend the money if it's too expensive.

So, just a few questions:
What is the average price you pay for a blood test to check for pregnancy? I'm sure it varies widely but just a general range to decide if it's worth it or just wait and see if she comes into heat again.
What are the major signs of being in heat? I know being extra vocal and tail flagging are the big ones but she's a pretty loud girl anyway and her tail is always wagging a million miles an hour.
If she is pregnant, what are the main supplies that I need to stock up on? I've been looking at birthing kits online but that isn't until kidding, do I need anything for her before then?
When do you start giving grain? These little Nigis seem to plump up if you so much as point grain in their general direction and I don't want to make her obese.
Um um um... I'm sure I have a million more but I'll just start with those since this post is getting pretty long already :D

Pictures of the parents to be coming as soon as the application stops crashing -.-
Edit: Oh hey, guess they worked! Ok first two are of the handsome Desertnanny HB Archembeau, and the others are of my doe CJS-Farms U Buttercup.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh I did think of another! I don't believe she had access to minerals during her stay with the buck and her coat looks just a little lackluster. She was also shaved prior to being taken to Joyce's so maybe it's just the hair growing back funny, I don't know. Do I need to copper bolus or anything or will she fill up on minerals here and regulate herself? We have Sweetlix Meat Maker available at all times.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Your goats are so cute! And welcome, didn't see your intro thread as I haven't been on here as much lately. :)

I was actually going to be doing some research on pregnancy testing today, as I have the same thing going on! :/ I bought a supposedly pregnant doe that I was told would have kids most likely in July or August, but turns out, she's not even pregnant, or if she is, then it's still a long ways off. :mad: I was really wanting babies.
Anywho, I think to send a sample to Biotracking it only cost like 6- 10 dollars, but not sure. And I think you only have to send in 2 ml of blood, but again not sure. I believe you do have to wait until it's been at least 30 days since they were bred for the test to be accurate.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Oh I did think of another! I don't believe she had access to minerals during her stay with the buck and her coat looks just a little lackluster. She was also shaved prior to being taken to Joyce's so maybe it's just the hair growing back funny, I don't know. Do I need to copper bolus or anything or will she fill up on minerals here and regulate herself? We have Sweetlix Meat Maker available at all times.
If she does not have a fishtail, then I wouldn't worry about the copper bolus. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much! They are cute, and so darn tiny! Buttercup is only 17 inches at the withers. I love them so much. She's getting a bath today, she smells something fierce! I've heard stories of the buck odor but whew! And they weren't even in rut!
Oh $10 for a test isn't bad at all, I was thinking way higher. I would need to draw the blood myself then to send it in? I've never tried to get blood from a goat before... is it difficult?
I don't THINK she has fish tail but it looks kinda flat instead of poofy. My 4 month old doelings have a similar looking tail and they have had Sweetlix since they were born, is there a different brand of goat mineral that is more highly recommended? Thank you for the replies :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I have never drawn blood before either! I'm a little scared to do it, but I need to learn, because I want to get all my goats tested for CAE, Brucellosis and Johne's disease. Not that I expect them to have any of these, but because I want to have a clean herd. I'm trying to start a herd of Nigerians, and I don't want to sell any animals that are not clean.
Here's a link to another thread I started on the subject- there is a video on page five on how to draw blood. :) http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/what-if-they-do-have-cae-cl-150212/index5.html

I'm not sure on which minerals are the best- I'm using Manna Pro Goat minerals right now, but I think a lot of people use Sweetlix.
I'm still learning all the time myself! :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I've never tried to get blood from a goat before... is it difficult?

No, it isn't difficult. Just make sure you have pre-labeled the vacutainers with ear tag # or names, and have a pair of clippers available in case the goat in question has a lot of hair as that can make finding the jugular a little difficult. Someone to restrain the goat is also very helpful. Using your fingers, press on the left side near the base of the neck. That will constrict the jugular and cause it to 'pop' so you can see (if clipped) or feel (if not clipped) it. Keeping pressure on the vein, slip the needle into the vein and draw back the plunger to make sure you're there. Release pressure and draw amount of blood needed into syringe. Transfer to vacutainer and keep chilled until it gets where it's going.

....Sweetlix since they were born, is there a different brand of goat mineral that is more highly recommended? Thank you for the replies :)
Sweetlix Meat Maker mineral is a good mineral. The only reason I don't use it is because I cannot get it in my area.

·
558 Posts
I am going to follow this thread because this will be next year. I am excited for you!! Good luck. I hope she took the first time :) She is a beautiful girl!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies! I used to work in animal hospitals so I think I'm probably just going to have one of my vet tech friends come over and help me out with the blood draw for the first time. Always helps to have an extra set of hands too :) since she just got bred a little over a week ago I have a bit of time before I need to stress over it. I'll keep you updated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts