The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we bought our two 15 wk old nigerian dwarf babies. We are in heaven! Had no clue goats would follow you around everywhere, come when called, bleat when you left. I could see how 2 would not be enough. :). My 4 y.o. Daughter LOVES them!

They were bottle fed and actually the lady has extended their last morning bottle so we can finish the weaning. Just whole milk diluted and warmed slightly? I figured there was some special goat milk.

She said wood shavings work better in their barn stall rather than the straw I have down. I've always used straw for my chickens, no problems. Wood shavings are more costly, so is it really worth the extra cost for the goats? The stall they sleep in and will be in when we aren't home does have a dirt floor.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i dont like dirt floors as they hold bacteria and viruses. even if you can put a plywood floor down it will be better as at least you are stating with a clean space. straw versus shavings . shavings are easier to clean. if you have plenty of straw use it but it is harder to clean. when you do clean be sure to use something like stall dry before you rebed the stall. it really cuts down on the wetness and smell. it will help cut down the bacteria as well. it does not take much to do the job. good luck you'll do fine.

·
Super Moderator
59,804 Posts
Whatever works best for you. You will have to play around with things and see what works for you. I prefer a dirt floor and I put down clean limestone on top of it. Then I put straw down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts