brown cottage cheese milk!!!???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Victoria, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Posting this for a friend..
    We wormed her goats with sheep drench
    .about ten days ago.. everything is fine with all but one goat..She has a lamancha she has been milking reguarly and the milk on one side turned clear, this was about six days after deworming..today the milk is cottage cheesy and brown..no idea why..she is eating normal..pooping normal...no idea about a fever, she will be checking for that in a bit..so...any ideas what I can tell her??
    ThaNKS SO MUCH!!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like it could be mastitis? test her milk or have it tested...is her udder hot ? Hard?

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Really sounds like mastitis, I've never heard of a wormer causing such a problem with milk, not that it can't happen but I would really suspect mastitis. She may or may not have a temp, having her tested would be best as well as continuing to milk her.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yup sounds like a pretty severe case of mastitis. It could of been brewing for awhile. Sometimes goats will have mastitis but never show any signs of it until something stressful comes up. Other does (like a friend of mines doe) never show signs, but on a california mastitis test she tested positive.
    I would test her to make sure but its probably mastitis and then get her on agressive treatment.
    The brown in the milk is probably blood.
    beth

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Yea, that's what I figgered..uck..blood???but it makes total sense...I will let her know...so what about antibiotics??? I have pennicillin...she will need me to treat her..should I do it every other day?? She is about 120...so I would start her on 12 ccs every other day...does that sound right??

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've never had to deal with mastitis, Thank God...but from what I have read about the treatment, she should have the antibiotic infused into her udder via the teat orifice. I am thinking that the infusions are called Today for does in milk and Tomorrow for dry does.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

ten days of pen, 6 cc's for every hundred lbs of body weight. Either today or tomorrow, i believe tomorrow is better, it has a higher dose of antibiotics in it, check the label i can never remember which one to use. Even if its the one for dry cow use it. Milk her out infuse one tube per side, twenty four hours later do it again, and again another twenty four hours later (total of three treatments) I would do both sides to be sure. As much Vitamin c as you can get in her....500 to 1000 mg a day, those orange chewable tablets work well. Heat pack her udder for twenty minutes at least twice a day, as hot as you and she can stand. Hot towels work good. If she still has discolered milk or chunks in it repeat the process in 14 days.
    beth