The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I was trimming my goats hooves today the front left one on my baby (2mo) goat has a mass between her toes. I did not notice any black there. When I touched it she didn't flinch and so I thumbnailed it lightly to see if it had puss inside. When I did that a soft "skin" peeled off like it was pusy/infected, but the bubble was still there. When I squeezed it a little she cried bloody murder and it bled as well like it was "sweating" blood.

I brought her inside, cleaned her up, soaked her feet in epsom/ACV mix. Then I finished trimming her hooves completely. They all looked good with little to no dark. Then I soaked the three hooves in a bleach/water mix (about 1:10). I did not bleach the "infected" hoof.

I then sprayed it with 10% iodine before putting her back in the barn. By the way it stinks seriously bad.

I don't know what I should do. I don't know if I need to lance and drain it. I don't know what's inside. If it's puss then for sure it should be lanced. But judging from the picture and your experience what should happen?

Thank you for any help!

Attachments

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I would soak it in ebsom salts every day, to draw out infection. Someone else had this problem on facebook, must be related to the extra wet weather.

·
14,615 Posts
Im sorry I dont remember what this is called but there might be a core in there that needs to be removed.
Keep soaking it & try to get the puss out.
If you have any plantain growing you can make a poultice for it.
Or squirt any antibiotic you have into it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anybody else know what this might be? Do I need to cut it open or leave it be?

Thank you for your help!

·
1,384 Posts
We have had it, need to keep a foot medicine on it, LA 200 or biomycin antibiotic squirted on it, Koppertox, ect... I think I herd someone mixing petroleum jelly with tetracycline powder and putting it between the toes. Then keep trimming the hoof. When you get the bad spot dried up some you can cut it off. But it will be too painful to do that right now. Not sure what it is exactly called, but I have had a couple do this, especially in wet wether and It has healed but takes a long time, like several months for that spot to grow out.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Is it really wet where you are? It kind of looks like hoof scald, or some kind of infection brought on by being in muddy/wet conditions. I know I've seen it before, just can't remember what it is called. We had a donkey that would get abscesses on occasion. Every time she did out farrier would trim the spot to open it up, usually with the hoof knife, then we would take sugar and iodine and put it on the bottom of her hoof over the abscess and wrapped the hoof in a diaper and duct tape. This concoction worked just like a poultice and would draw out the infection and she would usually be better in a day or two. She always got to eat some of the sugar while we were treating the hoof to keep her calm. lol She loved it.

Epsom salts work really well too, so I would definitely keep up with that.

Can you keep her in an area that is dry? I don't like wrapping things that need to dry out, but you do need to keep more mud/wet from getting in there and making it worse.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It's been raining like crazy where I am all summer. I have crops dying from having too much rain and we usually have droughts this time of year.... but that's another story.

Sugar/iodine sounds like it would attract bugs? I was playing with the idea of a poultice but I think my major question at his point is "should I cut it open?" I'll put together a poultice for her, but should I cut open the mass or would that cause infection?

Can't seem to keep anything dry around here these days. Even the hay in the barn is wet after a day. It's mildly frustrating because I find myself changing the straw out every other day.

By the way, just noticed this but it looks like she has a similar bubble forming on the corner of her mouth. :(

Attached an updated photo this morning. It is larger than it looks in the photo. Poor thing screams bloody murder if you touch it.

Update: I sprayed Blu-Kote on it in the meantime. It says on the label it's a fungicidal and you could spray it on hoof rot.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that is weird. I am having a hard time making out the orientation of the photo.
I'm holding her in my lap looking down with her front hoof folded, faced up toward me. The 'tips' of the hoof in the photo are facing toward the bottom of the photo and the back of the hoof is facing toward the top of the photo.

My thumb is spreading the hoof a bit.

Kind of like.... /\ in the photo. The bubble is the circled part.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
*sigh*

Anemia, tapeworms, worms, cocci, pnemonia and now hoof rot/scald, mouth sore.... is there something else we could add to list of things she's been through in the month since I've had her or have I topped the list? :(

:GAAH:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
She could have sore mouth on her hoof too, it doesnt have to just be on the mouth. Did you introduce a new goat to the herd, or take yours somewhere very recently?

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
She could have sore mouth on her hoof too, it doesnt have to just be on the mouth. Did you introduce a new goat to the herd, or take yours somewhere very recently?
That is what I was going to say as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts