Buck #2 conformation critique

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by NDinKY, Jun 8, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Here is Fleece, a 3 yr old Nigerian Dwarf buck. Any critiques welcome, I’m trying to develop my eye. His haircut is a bit long as I was worried about sunburn and his face is a hack job as I was trying to clip him in the milking stand and he didn’t like it. Also, he is now in rut so he spent the photo session trying (and was successful) to pee on me. His hind end isn’t normally as steep as it looks in the pics. He is not set up for the pic from behind (doesn’t toe out like in the pic) but I didn’t have any better pics from behind.

749C51F0-F748-46A3-9D7E-5171316B1730.jpeg 73EDF524-00A6-4E07-89B3-BA7912CCA727.jpeg 7DD42234-4D49-40A2-85F5-18CC04653131.jpeg

2. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    It is especially difficult to get good pictures of bucks this time of year.
    With that in mind, From the rear, I like his width and openness with that desirable horseshoe shape.
    From the side, it's hard to say. From the left he looks like he has a good brisket, from the right, it's hard to see. I think the left picture is at a slightly forward angle, so the right picture probably gives a truer idea.
    From the left his legs look better positioned under his shoulders, but from the right, they are not even close. He has good stature though and his topline appears strong. One thing he definitely needs more of is length and dairyness. I'd say overall he is more of a powerful, sturdy buck than a dairy one.

goatblessings and Iluvlilly! like this.

3. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thanks, I appreciate the critique! I could not get him to stop trying to pee all over, lol. He is longer than he looks in the pictures, but is definitely sturdy/meaty. His clip job is poor, as he would not stand well. We’re keeping 3 of his daughters so he’s going up for sale (gotta make room for my new buck!).

4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I love his masculinity. Seems like he's quite muscular for a nigi.

5. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Definitely not an easy time to photograph bucks! After they shed out their winter fluff and after a clipping in the spring, is the best time, IMO.
    Your herd will certainly not be lacking in dairyness soon!;)

NDinKY likes this.
  6. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ll definitely have to clip and photograph earlier next year. Weather was so weird it felt too cold to clip until late May this year. Then rut snuck up on me.

7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    He is one big muscle. Definitely my alpha buck.

MellonFriend likes this.