buck age for meat??

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by pelicanacresMN, Oct 2, 2010.

1. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I know nothing about meat goats so here's my question: how old is too old to butcher a male goat? I have a buck that is going to be 3 this December..how would his meat taste? Is that too old to butcher a breeding buck? I don't know if I can really do it, but if he doesn't sell this month I am considering alternatives. My husband doesn't get along with this goat at all. The goat grew horns even though he was disbudded 3 times by the original owner & he definately knows how to use his horns.

2. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    If he's an intact buck the meat maybe tainted with his stench is what I heard.No first hand experience though.The meat most likely will be tough.We are planning to butcher our first goat in January with our wethers being 6 months old.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We havent done any older than 6-8 mos but will be doing a yr & a half yr old. He will be half ground & half brats.
    If the meat IS too strong we'll have plenty dog food.

But if he's tough you just put him in the crock pot :wink:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.... that 6-8 mos is the best time.... :thumb:

I haven't ever done one... that old either....as the risk of the stink... may be in the meat..... but... as mentioned makes great dog food......if it doesn't taste good.... :wink:

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I was just talking to a more experienced breeder about this. She said wait till spring/summer when they aren't in rut so they meat isn't as strong. She said that they could be a little stringy so mabye crock pot?

6. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

A lady called yesterday & said she's putting a deposit in the mail for him today--hurray!
    Thanks to everyone for your input though!!!

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is wonderful and you are very welcome.... :thumb: :hi5: :cool: