Buck apron

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Driver, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Getting a buck soon would like him to run with the does for a couple months. Any experience positive or negative with buck aprons.

I have Nigerian dwarf goats

2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I have Nigerian Dwarfs also.
    I got a buck apron from House of Bacchus. For my buck the short medium fits perfectly (I believe it was called sheep medium). They worked great. You have to make sure they are tight enough on them. I would always observe for the first while. My goats have horns and one of the does got them hooked in the strap on the first day. After that she learned how to get the horns out.
    @Moers kiko boars has used them a lot longer , she may be able to give you more pointers.

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Just to add, that was with a small buckling who also wore an apron.

Moers kiko boars and Driver like this.
  4. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Hey there! I also use the house of bacchus apron for my nubian buckling and I love it. Haven't had any issues and it definitely blocks what it needs to =)

5. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    This is good news I was feeling bad about relegating the buck to a small pen his whole life. My plan is to let him be with the herd besides month prior to birth and couple months after until kids are gone.

Have you noticed less of a smell from the bucks with apron use?

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  6. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I use them on my Nubian bucks and they work great! I suggest getting the ones with the chest strap, the bucks like to try and rub them off and I couldn't get my own homemade chest strap to work for very long.
    I have noticed my bucks don't smell as bad and it helps keep the urine scald off their legs. They can and will still pee on their faces though.

Attached Files:

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Just make sure the buck isn't running the does unnecessarily and causes problems. Aprons will most times prevent breeding. But NOT behavior.

8. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hi there. Bucks are awesome. I've used the House Of Bachhus anti mating aprons on 2 month old bucklings to my 2 year old Bucks. I get the one with the chest strap. I pull my bucks when my does have 2 months left of pregnancy The last month.they can throw hormones to.prepare.for.birthing, and the buck thinks it's to breed. Sooo my girls are alone at that time. Then for another 2 months to give their little ones a chance to know her. Usually my bucks are.back once the little ones are 2+ months old. Unless he acts bucky ..then he is off by himself in his own pen. Each buck is different. So it's a trial and error way. Just.have to see what kind of buck he turns out to be.

toth boer goats, MadHouse and Driver like this.
  9. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Were going to buy a buckling and hoping that being raised from a buckling up to adult will mellow alittle of the buck stuff.

10. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Well getting him when he's young can help with him being used to being handled and leash trained and stuff like that, but it won't in any way inhibit his manly instincts. Peeing on himself, blubbering, mounting and all that good stuff is going to happen to him eventually.

11. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    What age will he be able to seal the deal with a full grown ND goat?

12. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Um well if you mean how old can he successfully get the girl pregnant then 6 months should get the job done if he can reach, All of my bucks get the job done at 6-8 months and I own Nubians so I would thing an ND could a bit sooner.

13. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Yes sorry for my juvenile beating around the bush. Well that's sooner then I expected, which will be perfect does will be alittle over a year old at that time.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  14. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I used one for my Nigerian buck and it worked really well. I got it form the house of Bacchus