The Goat Spot Forum banner

Buck behavior??

2K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
I have an almost 2 year old kinder buck. I noticed lately he likes to be by himself. He has buddies 2 oberhasli wethers, and 2 sheep wethers, as well as an oberhasli 3 month oberhasli buckling. I was thinking that he was sick, but he's eating, drinking fine. No temp, he did not like that at all.... :( Today I just kept the little buckling in with him, the rest I took to munch down a different field, across from my does. Is this normal for a buck? He seems relaxed and content too. I think he's more annoyed with the buckling, but they are not fighting or anything.

#7 ·
I know the lady I got him from had just him in the house until 3 months old. I'm thinking rough beginning. I know that before I got my sheep, I have pens in the barn, and he liked having his own.... I'll leave him be and just keep an eye on him.

#9 ·
So it stems from, no socialization when he was a kid, that makes sense why he likes being alone. He doesn't know how to interact with others.
Maybe pen him up with one goat and see if that other goat can teach him how to be a goat and be happy.

When do you plan on breeding? Hopefully, he won't want to be away from the girls as well.

Strange, if he sounds like a cat, LOL, hmm, don't know what the cause of that is.

#10 ·
Oh, he did his job with the girls. I let him run with them, and they are due at the end of the month. He took that job seriously, maybe too seriously LOL... I brought one of my kinder does home on Feb 23, and he got her right then and there. He doesn't mind that at all. The Nubian/Lamancha doe is due at anytime too, didn't see that one happen though. The one nubian/lamancha doe he was trying repeatedly with had a severe copper deficiency, so that wasn't his fault, she's getting better and will be ready for breeding in the fall:) Definitely getting my breeding organized next season:)

I have him and the oberhasli buckling together so far so good!! I actually think he likes his pen area, and I did find him and Charlie (buckling) laying close together when I came home from church:)

Yeah, he's always sounded like a growling cat. Sometimes when he cries loudly I rush out there to check on them thinking it might be a bob cat... and then oh, that's just you, what's up!!!:)

#11 ·
Sounds as if it is working, putting him with the one buck, he is sounding more relaxed, which is so good.
It is also good, he bred with no issues there. :)

That is so weird with the cat sounds, can you video it, I'd love to hear that. ;)

#12 ·
Sounds as if it is working, putting him with the one buck, he is sounding more relaxed, which is so good.
It is also good, he bred with no issues there. :)

That is so weird with the cat sounds, can you video it, I'd love to hear that. ;)
Can you do audio on here? I thought of making a video and posting it, so hey I think I'm going to try. My nephew in law, and my mom told me to get a video tape and send it to America's funniest videos:) I'll attempt to do that today or tomorrow:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.