The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Goat Momma
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we were gone mostly all day, I stopped by my grandparents and got 3 garbage bags full of green sweet potato tops for the goats. Brought them home loaded them on the 4 wheeler TO Take down to the goats. They are 300 yards from the house, and past. A wooded fence line. As soon as we got into the clearing we saw our buck grazing with the girls. He didn't seem to be chasing them, but was sniffing a few butts before we caught him. We put him back on the boys side, and mended the fence. We checked butts but didn't see any "mess". One of our girls was in heat about 3 days ago. Unplanned babies would be OK, but we have one female that CANNOT be bred. Last season she had an emergency c section and our vet said she would have trouble giving birth because of hip bone placement, and she is just way to small to breed. How long should it be before we can start seeing who is pregnant and who isn't. I believe I read somewhere before that you can get a shot from the vet to abort pregnancy, has anyone ever done this? She wasn't in heat when he broke in, so what are the odds that he got to her? We have 16 females and 2 wether's in that pasture. Thanks for reading y'all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using GoatSpot

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
I am interested too, as my buck tore down my gate and got to my does!

·
1,524 Posts
A doe cannot get pregnant if she is not cycling. If the doe in question is not in heat and has not been for a few days before the buck got in, there would be no eggs to get fertilized.

I would wait 2-4 weeks and send in a blood sample to biotracking.

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
I would write down the date in case and I would send a blood sample in to BioTracking after 30 days on the girl you don't want bred. Or simply get a Lutalyse shot and give it in 2 weeks.

·
Goat Momma
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I've got another question. The buck got in on sept. 6th. Tonight the doe that was in heat at the time of the break in had a thin string of clear goo hanging from her lady parts. What is that? Does that mean she took when he got in? And... Trying to figure out a due date for my first time, so 145 days would be jan. 29? Or do you give the egg 24 hrs to implant and start counting from sept. 7 (the next day). Sorry for all of the questions

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
sounds like she is in heat, that clear mucus is a sure sign of heat. maybe he didnt get his job done!! i personaly would prefer feb-march to january babies anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts