Buck buddy

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Sandi, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Sandi

Sandi New Member

Jul 27, 2015
    What is the best situation for a 1 1/2 yr old buck's companion? I'm just starting my herd and have two does and a buck. Now that the girls are pregnant by him, I'd like to move him to a bachelor pad. Would he be better off with a wether as a companion, or would it be okay to invest in another buck to keep with him? I like the idea of having another mate for the girls, but wouldn't another buck cause too much friction in the bachelor pad?

He's a good fellow & I'd like to keep him that way. BUT I hate the idea of buying a wether who can't contribute to our gene pool. Opinions?

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    It all depends. A wether would be ideal, or do you have a place for your buck where he can see the does but not have access?

3. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

My bucks have always gotten along really well. In that situation I would probably buy a baby buck to grow up with him and take over when needed.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    A wether is going to cost the same to feed as another buck would. I would definitely get a buck companion if you can. They will argue sometimes, it's normal, but they will get along for the most part and become buddies.

5. LibertyHomesteadFarm

LibertyHomesteadFarm Member

Feb 1, 2014
    I would get another buck/buckling.

6. CritterCarnival

CritterCarnival Yes Dear Goat Farm

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    Yep, my two bucks are best buds, they battle and play fight, then cuddle up together in their hut to nap. Although, they did blubber at each other and pee and mount each other during rut...boys will be boys. :roll::ROFL:

7. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree with KW. If another buck is needed then go with that instead of feeding a pet. Just keep a eye on how the act with each other. My one buck is very decent to others, he will rough house but won't really beat anyone up, well when they first go together he would but once they figure it out he was very calm. My older buck and my newer buck are both big fat jerks. So when I pull them from the does they will get their own pens.