The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breeding season has started and the bucks are peeing on themselves constantly, now their legs are all raw and I am wondering if there is anything I can put on it or do I just let it run its course and not worry about it?

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
If you can wash the raw areas very well, trim some fur away so the urine doesn't absorb and keep the skin sweet, then apply a protectant. My preference is zinc oxide ointment (aka plain diaper rash cream). But don't apply any type of cream or ointment without cleaning the area because you'll trap the bacteria against the already impacted skin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can wash the raw areas very well, trim some fur away so the urine doesn't absorb and keep the skin sweet, then apply a protectant. My preference is zinc oxide ointment (aka plain diaper rash cream). But don't apply any type of cream or ointment without cleaning the area because you'll trap the bacteria against the already impacted skin.
Okay I will try that and see cause it's pretty bad.
Thank you!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
I find that Dawn dish soap works well to get the pee off. Its ducky degreasing powers work on buck pee too apparently. Make sure the area is really dry before applying a protectant. If in the future before the rutt starts you can shave the areas they pee on, it helps a lot to prevent this from happening. 😉

1 - 6 of 6 Posts