Buck conformation critique

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by NDinKY, Jun 2, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    What are your thoughts on this buck’s conformation? Nigerian Dwarf, 3 years old. You can be honest, it won’t hurt my feelings. I’ve been hitting him pretty hard with copper boluses, just waiting for them to kick in.

Also, setting up goats and getting good photos is hard...

Here’s Gimli:
    FAFA58FD-0D54-4C31-A098-8EAB700F2E65.jpeg FD5525BA-6AF6-4252-91A8-84EE6C6589E7.jpeg

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    He is very proportional which is good, I also like his depth of chest, but would maybe wish for more angularity in the rear legs and a longer neck. Also this is just my opinion. He’s a handsome boy.

NDinKY likes this.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Okie dokie, I am learning to judge, so don't tke my words too seriously! Wait for the pro, @Morning Star Farm

cons I see right away:
    His rump is a bit steep
    Lacks rear leg angulation
    short neck

pros I see right away:
    extremely wide!
    Deep bodied
    shoulder blend smoothly with the rest of is body
    nice wrinkly loose skin (but I think that is a buck thing??)

Morning Star Farm, NDinKY and Ashlynn like this.
  4. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thanks guys! I’m seeing similar things. He is built like a tank.

I am trying to decide whether to keep him or sell him this year. He’s a very good boy who throws beautiful kids (all buckling this year so far, boo). Right now I’ve got 4 bucks and really don’t need that many, so I’ve got to figure out who to put up for sale. I’m going to get pics of the others too, once I can find time.

Ashlynn likes this.
  5. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Lol! Yes setting up can be really tricky!

Okay, biggest pros
    Good length
    Excellent body capacity
    Prominent brisket
    Great masculinity
    Decent rump slope
    Good dairy character
    Lovely height and width in the rear, nice horseshoe shape
    Tight front end

Biggest cons
    Big, big con, unless it's the way he's set up, he really toes out in the rear legs
    He appears to toe out in the front as well
    Lacks angulation in rear legs
    Needs more dairy character
    His wrinkles, dairy skin, should go all the way down his back
    @Nigerian dwarf goat dairy skin is on bucks and does, but more prominent on bucks. It leads to better udder texture.
    Weak topline, he dips in the chine quite a bit

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  6. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

@Morning Star Farm What do you think of the attachment of his testicles? Looks kinda week to my eye. (also trying to learn)

Sorry OP if there's too many people learning here. :confused:

NDinKY likes this.
  7. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Oh and I LOVE the name by the way.(thumbup)

NDinKY likes this.
  8. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    I would look at the does you have and compare his pros to your girls’ cons and to what you are looking for in future kids. This way you can see what might improve in the kids. If he has what a lot of your girls lack, I would keep him. That is unless another buck you have would help more.

NDinKY likes this.
  9. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    He definitely toes out, I didn’t really set him up for the pic from behind, that’s how he stopped.

He’s our first buck but I actually think he’s the least nice conformation wise. Seems very meaty and not very dairy. I actually haven’t retained any of his kids yet, but when you throw all bucklings it doesn’t make me want to keep them, lol.

MellonFriend, definitely great to be learning, I’m learning too. Feel free to pick him apart, he can take it!

MellonFriend likes this.
  10. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    When you guys use the term toes out, do you mean his hooves spread too much? I’m also learning.

MellonFriend likes this.
  11. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    The biggest thing my does are lacking as a herd is the nice arched eustation and the flat rump. I don’t think Gimli will help much in those areas.

I’ve got to get my girls all shaved up too and get pictures to really evaluate them.

Ashlynn likes this.
  12. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Look at where his toes are pointing in the photo from behind. They don’t point straight forward, they point out instead. Some of that could be my not great trimming jobs (still learning, I apologize to my goats a lot), but it’s not likely solely that.

Moers kiko boars and Ashlynn like this.
  13. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Oh makes sense. I have a doe that does that. Her hooves grow so much faster than the rest of my herd’s and I have been unable to correct it so this somewhat explains that. Thank you for explaining.

Moers kiko boars and NDinKY like this.
  14. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Straight legs are better, you don’t want toed out or toed in for long term soundness.

15. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    You did a pretty good job setting him up!
    Yes, that's a good way to describe him, much more meaty than dairy. I wouldn't keep him based on that and feet and legs. They are a huge part of the scorecard especially in a buck.

Moers kiko boars, NDinKY and Ashlynn like this.
  16. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    I should probably post pictures of my bucks one day too. It’s so helpful to have another person say what they like and dislike about them.

17. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    @Ashlynn & @NDinKY I don't know if it's trimming as much as structure because he's consistently toeing out in the front and rear.

Moers kiko boars and NDinKY like this.
  18. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thanks! He was pretty cooperative in setting up. I tried to get another one photographed tonight and he just didn’t want to cooperate. Probably because we just had some girls in heat so his mind was elsewhere.

We probably will end up putting him up for sale. I think my does are nicer than he is so that means it is time for him to find a new herd where he can improve someone’s does. Makes me sad but can’t keep them all.

19. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    I think that's a smart decision. Ideally you want the buck's dam to be nicer than any doe in your herd at that time. There are a lot of really nice Nigerian bucks in Kentucky too.

20. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    @Morning Star Farm I was trying to correct it with hoof trimming previously, but after she explained the term I was saying that my doe probably just has toes that naturally splay out as hoof trimming was not working.