Buck conformation critique

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by NDinKY, Jun 2, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    There definitely are a lot of nice ND around. One problem I’m running into though is how closely related many are. I don’t know enough yet to dabble in linebreeding but it seems so many goats have Very Nice Prolific Buck in their lines. I have one of his daughters, a granddaughter, and great grandson already. I’m thinking about trying to bring in a buckling from far away, like one from Very Nice Goat Farm. I can’t afford a lot of what is available locally as they’re all big show farms.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    I have had trouble with finding un-related goats too. I’m in Florida though. Our last buck passed away but apparently had been around before we got him. Also there are 5 herds who just about every good Nigerian has ties to in my state and it’s hard to find goats who’s parents aren’t the same from those herds or aren’t related when you want a splash of new genetics. The show farms definitely run the place and get good money for their goats. They deserve it, but sometimes it’s frustrating when you feel like the only way to improve your herd is by buying from their line because the ones doing good in rings and markets are from or related to them. I’m thinking of saving up to bring one in from Arizona from a place I’ve had my eye on.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Moers kiko boars and NDinKY like this.

3. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Yes, tight toes can be a confirmation issue. Those would be called loose toes.

Moers kiko boars and Ashlynn like this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Please do not mention names of breeders, we do not need to talk down about anyone. ;)

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Sorry, didn’t realize that was an issue. Edited to “very nice goat” instead.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Iluvlilly! likes this.
  7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I meant it as a compliment, not bashing. Didn’t realize it came across that way.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Morning Star Farm was knocking down a breeder and that post seems to of been removed.

NDinKY you didn't do anything wrong. ;)

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Don't worry, you took care of it, all is good now. Deleting it was OK.

Yes, it did seem to be cutting down the breeder. We have to be careful.

You can always private message someone, if you want to warn them about a breeder, nothing wrong with that. ;)