The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have Nubians. Cookie, aka Loud Mouth, kidded a a single buckling at the end of April. Uncle Jesse (the baby daddy) is fence neighbors with Cookie and Little Debbie, the doe my family bought me for Mothers Day. Until recently, Buster (buckling) has been living with the girls. Here is where it gets interesting. So follow me. We recently fenced in "The Big Yard" for the goats but we haven't built shelter out there for the yet. So each morning I walk them from their little yard to the big yard, let them browse and graze all day, then walk them bak to the little yard in the evening. This has been fine, but Buster is still nursing and we have decided to begin the weaning process. We are not in a big hurry. He is nearly as big as Cookie now so for the last 4 nights, Buster has bunked with his dad. He nurses a little in the mornings once they get together in the big yard. Today when I put them up for the night Buster was especially reluctant. He slipped in the girls gate and ran from me. I coaxed him to the fence and got the leash on him. That. Stinker just laced down and wouldn't walk to the boys gate! After much convincincing he was finally safe with dad but ran straight for mom at the fence. He complained a few minutes then settled down and actually came by me to lay down. Uncle Jesse was right there too and he did something I've never seen. While Buster was laying down, he literally stroked his bak with a hoof about 5 strokes. He put his hoof down, smelled Buster and did this again, almost like he was petting him. Isthmus usual goat behavior? Or would he have learned petting from me? It's weird! It's seriously like he was consoling the little guy. Anything you know would be cool to hear!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't seem to notice any aggression. He did drop his head lower while he pawed. No raised hair on the neck or flicking the tail. No radar ears like I call them. His eyes were even droopy like he could have been sleepy. Maybe he did just want to be laying right there where Buster laid down. I haven't seen any other signs of Uncle Jesse pushing Buster around. Oh and btw, Buster is a whether so I don't know if the mating rivalry thing would come into play or not here. Are boys just boys anyway?

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Sounds like Uncle Jesse wanted the little guys spot next to you...lol..
I see this often when moms are wanting baby to get up and nurse they will paw at them, when a Doe refuses a buck and lays down, he will paw at her to get up, as mentioned already does pawing at does who want their spot and I have seen my bucks paw at each other when they want them to get up as well..

So pretty much they paw at each other to get up:D

·
1,524 Posts
It doesn't sound like ocnsoling to me either. When my bucks paw, its an act of aggression. Its either to get the kid to move out of the place he wants to be or he is showing the kid that he is boss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts