The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sick Buck

A little back story:
Two nights ago, we trimmed out bucks hooves and discovered that he was extremely under weight. He's a very hairy goat, and looked to be in good health, especially since all the other goats he shares his pen with are fat. I feel awful, I know you shouldn't got by looks, I just assumed :wallbang: (I know, I'm an idiot)....
And then last night when we went out he had really bad diarrhea (he is utd on being dewormed- though, just in case I'm going to give him a does of Safe Guard Goat Dewormer later today).
This morning I went out and he was laying down (like normal, it's cold, who wants to get out of a warm bed before they have to). But then he didn't get up, he seemed alert and other wise fine, when I brought a handful of hay to him he chowed down (and he has been eating fine this past week)....He tried to get up, and I tried to help, but to no avail...

The only thing different that's happened is he escaped (aka, I forgot to latch the gate) and he got into the feed room where there were several bags of moldy corn and some good corn, so I don't know if he ate any bad corn...

Fubar has never been good with cold, in fact, he shivers a lot. And these past two weeks the weather took a major turn and has been cold. I have two heat lamps in his stall (it's a large stall he shares with other goats).

So I'm torn, I want to give him grain to help him gain weight and gain strength, but since he has the runs, I know you're not suppose to feed grain....:confused:

any ideas of what could be wrong?

I should also add, I know I should call the vet, but I'm out of work so money's really tight...If I have to yes, I will call the vet. I'm not going to make my baby suffer just to spare my wallet. But if you could offer things I could try BEFORE I call the vet, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was doing research and came across another person asking about the runs in goats and came across and article where someone said to go ahead and treat the goats for cocci....so doing research I found, this http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/details/Corid-9.6%-Solution/285-1079.html at a local store but the label says it's for cows, but searching it looks to be the same thing they say to use for goats...

·
1,062 Posts
Can you get a temp on him? You can give some MOM but if he did get bad corn that could cause the diarreha and you'll want him to rid his body of the bad stuff. Can you at least get a fecal done? Feed the best hay you can get. No grian untik the diarreha stops. Has he gotten up yet?if it were mine I would probably also do some vit B

·
1,384 Posts
He would benifit from Thiamin injections to treat polio and listeriosis, antibiotic injections for the ilsteriosisa And C&D antitioxin for possible onset of Overeating Disease and boost his immune system.
B-complex can be purchased from some feed stores, injectable, but a good thiamin injectable has to purchased from the vet.
C& D antitoxin is over the counter, this is an Antitoxin and not the vaccine(toxoid)
Procain G can be purchased over the counter as well.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I agree with exactly what 20 kids said above. Get that antitoxin ASAP. Ours died after getting into the feed and she didnt have the antitoxin. Also the thiamin is super importatnt and treat for coccidia. You can also give some gas x - they have this in strips now that dissolve which makes things much easier. C & D antitoxin ASAP though!

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I agree you need to get a temp on that boy and now. Do you know if he is drinking? I would offer him some WARM/HOT water with an electrolyte in it. That will help warm him up.
I would go ahead and give him grain but if possible no corn. Pick it out if you have to. I would not give him a lot just some, or better yet, give him some warm? hot oatmeal with some raisins or Molasses in it.

I have to say for me the corn is not as big of a deal if it was JUST corn but Moldy corn, that is another problem in itself. Do you know how much he ate? Like at all? Little, half a bag or what. Have you offered him Baking soda?

I told all my 4Hkids when I wa the leader that you have to put your hands on your goats. My kids all have fiber goats so their fiber really likes to hind the lack of weight.

Now don't beat yourself up. We all learn from our mistakes. Let's focus all the attention on this boy.

·
1,384 Posts
Also, you can drench with 2 or 3 teaspoons of baking soda to see if that helps. The fact that he is having a hard time standing means he really really needs some of these medicines right away. Can give them all at the same time, but find as many of them as you can and treat him right away. I personally think you have until today to get the right medicines in him, so Calling the vet may be a good option at this point.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went out to check on him earlier (3hrs after I discovered him not wanting to stand) and he was outside standing with his buddies (today's a nice day).
The moldy corn was pretty bad, so I have a feeling he didn't eat much if any of that, especially since there was a bag of good corn near by....
He's not lethargic and his eyes are bright-if that makes any sense...our thermometer broke, so I can't take him temp (I wish I could!).
I'm going to try to get to the store today and some C & D antitoxin, a vit b injection and I'll probably go ahead and pick up some pepto and the corid-for cocci...

I'm so mad at myself about him weight because I've owned goats for 7 years, I knew better than to go by look...but yes, by main goal right now is to get him back on track.

·
14,615 Posts
Yes do go ahead he needs those meds even if he appears somewhat ok right now.
If you're going to treat for cocci I'd get a fecal done first, as it sounds like this was no doubt moldy corn.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Pull down his lower eyelid and check the color of the inner eyelid. It should be a deep pink color. If it is light pink or white, he is anemic. If you have been using Safeguard as your main wormer he very likely has a worm problem that is causing anemia. Safeguard isn't really good for anything except tapeworms and you have use very large doses--at least 3x the label dose for at least 3 days in a row--for it to work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Safeguard isn't our main dewormer- we rotate...I'm guessing you guys don't think it's cocci, so, for now, I won't treat it...

I wanted to thank everyone for being helpful and not attacking me because I didn't call the vet right away...goat people are always helpful and nice....I also own a few horses and when I first got them I commented on a horse forum asking for help with something and everyone attacked me because I wanted to wait to call the vet, they said that I shouldn't own horses if I couldn't afford to pay the fees-'horse people' came across and rude and rich people...thank you for helping and understanding that I love my animals and want what is best for them, but at the same time I need to watch my money....
here's hoping these shots do the trick!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Completely forgot to get a thermometer, but on the bright side, last night he was given a C & D antitoxin, a vit b injection. I also went ahead and gave him some pepto.
I also bought more, oh I forget what it's called....I call it goat Gatorade and brought out warm water last night and this morning....
He didn't get up this morning, but I don't think it was because he couldn't, I think he was comfy and wanted to lay down (if that makes any sense to you guys...). That, and when I went over to say hi, I brought a handful of hay to him. Why stand up when hay's delivered-he was eating when I left (and I saw him drink a lot of water last night)...I also made sure that there was plenty of hay last night to make sure he had a chance to eat, as I said he shares a big stall with some weathers (they had a ton left over this morning in their hay rack)...

With the c&d I bought a big vile (which you're suppose to use all once opening) I spent a fortune, and thinking about it now I probably could of picked up one shot at the vet, oh well..any ways, in a few days should I give him a booster shot? And I know it says to use all once opening, but how long will it keep in the fridge before I have to toss it?

And with the vit b-should I give again in a few days?

If you can't tell, I don't know much about shots.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Corid is about worthless for cocci, in my personal opinion, I would get Di-Meth or Sulmet, if you can. Di-Meth is a little easier on the kidneys, but Sulmet will get the job done too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't get the corrid, so no worries....the label for the c&d antitoxin didn't have goats listed, and in my experience goats and sheep seem to take the came dosage, so I just gave him a sheep dosage of 10mL. We gave it subq, and because he's so skinny we spread the shot out one on either side of him neck and on the hip/leg area, the one on the hip/leg area obviously hurt because he limped a little after that shot...
I went to check on him an hour ago and he was still laying down, he has an appetite and is eating, his poop isn't as runny, more paste like now. Could him not wanting to get up have something to do with the shot on the back leg?
Was my dosage correct? Please don't tell me I gave him to much....I read somewhere to repeat the C&D antitoxin? Should I give him another shot of it? Same question applies to the vit b too....

·
70 Posts
I had some goats get into moldy corn one time (my son's chicken feed!), and they had diarrhea pretty bad for a couple of days.

Another time, my buck kept scouring, when nobody else did. I gave him a dose of Ivomec, but that didn't help, so I took a stool sample to the vet to have it checked for Coccidiosis. It only cost $7 and took about 15 minutes, and I had the verdict: No Coccidiosis, but severe worm load! I said, "I just dosed him with Ivomec 2 days ago!" I stopped at Tractor Supply on the way home and picked up some MannaPro pelletized wormer (which also has vitamins, DE, and other good stuff in it), and by the next day the diarrhea had virtually disappeared!

·
Registered
191 Posts
10ml of the CD antitoxin is not too much. From what I've read, and experienced, you cannot overdose them with this. I actually give mine 30ml in a dose if they are showing symptoms that require it. If they are still not doing well a day later, I re-dose them. I've never had to give more than 2 doses.

One thing to remember with the antitoxin is that it negates the vaccine. This means that you will need to revaccinate him 14 days after the last dose, and then follow it with a booster like he had never been vaccinated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts