The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little over a week ago I brought in my buck for the season. Last night, he services a doe a few times but was acting kind of tired, but I'd isn't think anything of it. This morning, my dad found him out in the pen laying on his side barley breathing. It rained last night(currently is) as well, and he never when under the shelter. I don't know what to do. I can't let him die on me. I'm headed up to the ranch right now, as my dad doesn't know much about treating a sick animal. Thanks

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
Get a rectal temperature, normal is 101.5 to 103.5 F. Put him under heat lamps if it is low. Give him a fever reducer if it is very high (Banamine or Aspirin).

Check FAMACHA score. Give iron supplement (Red Cell oral horse or injectable pig iron) if the score is a 1 or 2.

Inject large dose of B-Complex, 6 cc per 100lbs or more (you can't overdose).

Do not feed grain. Prop him upright on his sternum so he is not laying flat. Use hay bales or similar. Offer water and good hay and leafy branches.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got to the ranch, and I loaded him into the truck and am currently on the way to the vet. His joints are completely still, and his breathing is raspy. His coloration is pale and his temp is lower than the proper range.

·
Registered
29,932 Posts
Oh no...doesnt sound good...prayers!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: he's at the vet and has started to heat up. It looks like hypothermia opposed to trauma, probably caused by him not eating enough(buck in rut), not drinking enough (buck in rut) and being over tired (buck in rut with females in heat) combined with the rain. He is getting some movement into his legs and starting to stabilize.

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
Hrrrmmmm... definitely be sure they do a fecal analysis when possible if his FAMACHA score was low. A normal healthy buck does not get hypothermia from a season of rut, even in the rain. I would be very concerned something else has compromised his immune system. Glad you were able to get him to the vet in time! let us know what they find!

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Yeah, my bucks are in rut when it gets well below 0 with snow, freezing rain and such and they still don't go down. Heavy worm load would be a big thing I would look for. Remember, though- females stop laying eggs in the fall, so a fecal may not be very reliable right now. I'd be tempted to hit him with something for Barberpole worm and or liver flukes if he were mine. (I have a problem with flukes at my place. You may not, depending on how wet your land is)

Good luck with your boy. Healing energy heading to him!

·
Registered
29,932 Posts
I agree....my boys never seem to slow down in rut...I can see if he wasn't eating enough to keep up his strength..but there maybe another reason for this..a fecal would be very wise...with the low famancha score..that might be his problem..which led to everything else...so glad he's getting the care that is needed to get him back on his feet, thanks to your quick action....!!

·
Registered
29,932 Posts
any news?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts