Buck Dilemma

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Jul 2, 2008.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Heres the "problem", my unregistered Pygmy Hank won't be used on my girls at all unless I can find a suitable pygmy or pygmy/nigi doe to replace the 2 does I retired.....Teddy will be paired with Angel in November and Binky will be bred by another breeders buck...Chief seems content to be who he is at the moment...Hank has been adament about getting out and to the girls any way he can...even went thru the new electric fence to get to them...which they weren't in the pasture at the time....I'd hate to see him retired because I can't use him and I really don't want him to be gone either...he throws some pretty kids too with more girls than boys.....my Dilemma is....WHAT WOULD YOU DO??
    He's turned 4 yrs on 4/1. :sigh: :shrug:

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Is there someone who could use him for awhile?? Like kinda leasing him out, they pay for the feed for him and they get to use him on their does or stud him out?? That's a tuffy for sure! I'm kinda having this problem also. Luckily we have room to keep him in a nice big pen and I think we will breed him to 5 pygmies this winter. We are moving more into nigerians so my pygmy buck is kinda shoved aside. I know I can't sell him, as he was my first buck and i'm attached. He throws some gorgeous kids too! Don't know :shrug: Well, good luck whatever you choose to do w/ him!!

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My hubby sort of helped with a solution....definately a bigger pasture is in order and the possibility of studding him out..to approved breedings of course, and as long as he doesn't get aggressive as he gets older he'll stay and possibly end up castrated if he can't behave himself.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i think studding him out is a grand idea. Especially if you let him leave the farm and they pay for his feed for a couple weeks. You will make someone with out a buck SO happy. Even if he does stay and people bring the does to him it will aid you in the price to feed him and keep him a little bit happy.

Advertize him as available for stud and I know you will be particular about who you let him breed to

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I was thinking of doing that very same thing..advertising as well as offering his services again to my Angels mommy as well as a breeder that wanted him last year but the weather was just too awful for transport...it would definately help in the way of feeding him at least til I can be able to use him again here...I know as a "breeder" you're not supposed to get attached but I've had him since he was 7 weeks old and he has pretty much paid for his keep all ready with 19 doelings and 10 bucklings. So I do think he'll be sticking around for awhile, and after the episode of him going thru the electric fence , he must have remembered it bit him because when I locked up the girls tonite and let him and the other 2 boys out to browse he stayed FAR away from the electric fencing..it was pretty funny to see :greengrin: