Buck/Doe Buffer Zone?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by ta06, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ta06

ta06 New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    My husband and I are building pens and need some advice!

How far should a buck pen be from the doe pen to ensure the milk won't be "goaty"? :shrug:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm good question -- I dont keep bucks and does on the same property so never had to deal with this issue.

3. ta06

ta06 New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I hope someone will know. We don't want to build a pen and have to move it after we discover we built them to close together the hard way.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My bucks "share" the barn with my girls...the boys have a 4x 10 side with a full wall between them. They also share a fenceline, not once in 8 years have I had a bucky flavor to the milk.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    idk..I'd say 10ft?

my does and buck share a small amount on fence (2x6's!! 4 inches apart lol) to prevent ramming through the fence.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i've had my bucks RIGHT next to my does for 7 years and never had bucky milk... but i just moved my buck pen away because a stupid buck decided to breed a bunch of does

7. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I have one buck pen that shares a fence with the doe pen and another buck pen that is about 10ft on the other side of the doe pen, we have never had "bucky" milk.

If you just want to err on the side of caution , I would leave at least enough room between the pens to get a riding lawnmower between the pens. That would make it easy to maintain and a little buffer area.

8. ta06

ta06 New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I appreciate the advice, Thanks!