Buck down!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatnutty, Sep 1, 2010.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Our buck is down wont get up to eat or anything...is in obvious pain in his stomach area. Temp is 101.5 Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated. Was fine one day and down the next thanks, Sara

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: EMERGENCY!

Have you seen him pee?

He may have urinary stones..... :(

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

I havent and that did cross my mind...but i havent been here that much with school and everything.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Bloat? Looks up on here treatment for bloat...there are a lot of threads already started on it...though it may not be what's going on, but you might just want to check some out and see if it's similar to his symptoms.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

how long has he been down for? if you havent seen him in a couple days it concerns me that he may have been down for a while.

6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

When you say stomach area do you mean near his rumen or under where he pees? I'd suspect UC because that's what our wether did when he had it.

7. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

If it's urinary calculi:

Go ahead and remove the pizzle first. It's not that difficult a procedure, really. Just sit the goat on his rump and have him lean back against someone who can hold him, reach down just ahead of the testes with one hand and take the upper part of the sheath with the other, and kinda push your hands toward one another...that should externalize the penis. From there, you'll see a little stringy thing that comes off the very tip end of his penis -- cut the stringy thing off. It's not as bad as it sounds, trust me.

After that...

Ammonium chloride drench, 250-300mg/kg of bodyweight daily for about a week. Give him the first one right away.

If you can get ahold of acepromazine (will require a vet, since it's Rx only) give him enough for "sedation without recumbancy"...enough to make him loopy, but not enough to knock him out completely. Ace is a smooth muscle relaxer.. If he has stones caught up in the 'sigmoid flexure,' it will spasm...the ace will relieve that. I *personally witnessed* my own UC buckling let loose of a perfectly normal stream of urine after a shot of acepromazine -- IT HELPS.

Banamine...1ml/100lbs of bodyweight. It's an NSAID, and you're using it primarily for the anti-inflammatory property in this case. The UC irritates the urethra, which prompts an inflammatory response that ABSOLUTELY CAN and WILL swell them shut, unless treated.

Dexamethasone...1ml/20lbs, IM, once a day for at least a week and then tapered off from there. Dex will basically prevent the immune system from swelling the urethra shut after the banamine wears off.

PenG...1ml/15lbs of goat, 2x/day for about 10 days. Dexamethasone will impair his immune system, so he'll needs antibiotics while he's on the dex. Not to mention, he may very well have developed a urinary tract infection which raised his urine pH and led to the UC in the first place..

Good luck. The UC buckling we had was almost completely locked up, to the point that he had to grunt so hard his eyeballs bugged out just to be able to dribble.. He was miserable. He got better with ammonium chloride and a little banamine, but then the inflammation set in and he locked up to the point of dribbling again. We toyed with dex just enough to keep him going, and he got several shots of ace (and another drug called dibenzylene, which I really don't think was all that helpful), but finally had to put him on several days worth of dexamethasone in a row before he began to improve. Probably took a month or more to reach a resolution, simply because we didn't really know what we were doing and had no real example to go by.

His urine stream, to this day, isn't what I'd call optimal....but he's almost 2 years old now, and in FULL RUT...yellow face and all. :)

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

How is your goat today?
    if you don't know what you are doing.... I don't know that I'd Attempt it... me personally ...I'd seek a vet... :hug:

9. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

That probably comes from me having paid to have it done once and thinking to myself...now, c'mon...if you can give shots and trim hooves, you can do THAT. Also, I guess I just want people to realize that it's not as complicated as it sounds, and that if they need to do it at hom, it's actually quite simple.

You're right, though...probably would be wise to at least *advise* that people seek counsel from a vet first, if they're new to it.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

haha Ive done it adn I had no idea what I was doing -- ok Ashley did it (she wont let me live it down EVER) and as was stated its not hard. Once you know its the death of the animal or cutting the end off, you do what is necessary to relieve their pain. It worked wonders and now Dude is a happy buck one year later with 7+ kids on the ground this spring

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

How are things going? Please keep us updated.

12. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

Just to clarify...and, as a guy, I feel this is IMPERITIVE...lol...you're not really "cutting the end off" anyway! :p

You're just snipping the little stringy thing that comes off the end...it's just an extension of the urethra, maybe 3/4" long. That's all.. If you find yourself preparing to saw through any substantial weiner meat in your effort to snip the pizzle, STOP...CALL A VET.

LOL

13. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010

:ROFL: CMJ. You just ain't right. :slapfloor:

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    EMERGENCY!

Lol...

15. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

CMJ, while your delivery was "interesting," your facts are good. thanks for th einfo! May I never need it.

16. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

OMG CMJ LOL!!!

Any updates on the buck? I sure hope he is okay!

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

LOL CMJ :laugh:

How is he doing Sara? :hug:

18. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

sorry hsvent been on in a while...the vet told us it was uc and we could do surgury which then he wouldnt be able to breed anymore and would be useless or we could try 3 ounces of vinegar and a shot of penn 2X a day...chances were he wasnt going to make it. I was tempted to do the surgury but paying for it and his feed for the rest of his life and knowing it might not fix the problem wasnt really an option right now so we did the vinegar and penn and it worked he is now back to himself! So although the vinegar messed up his mouth a little it is healing and he is up eating, drinking, and peeing again! My only concern is...is it likely to happen again?

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Glad the vinegar has worked.... :thumb:

There is a possibility... it can happen again..... but... it helps to give something with Ammonium Chloride in it... or feed the supplement...to prevent it from happening..... and sometimes we have change the way we feed..... :hug:

Ammonium Chloride
    http://www.hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/ ... uctid=3485

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

If it does happen again doing a cmjust0 said won't take away his breeding ability but help him pass stones easier.

I would feed him grain with ammonium cloride in it or top his feed with ammopnium cloride.