The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Toggenburgs. TALL Toggs! I own about 14 does and 1 buck. 5 of my does are not related to my buck and out in a very large pasture with my Haffy gelding. Pretty good fence(enough to keep in mischievous pony's and usually goats). I then have 8-9 yearling and under does who are ALL my buck's daughters! every last one of them. They are kept in a pen behind my large barn. My buck pen is about 10 ft away from my large pasture barnyard/feeding area. My 5 does can see him and can touch if they go around their little hog barns to where a woven wire fence and a 8' high dog kennel fence meet. I wanted to get those 5 does bred LAST month, but here is why I couldn't. If I put Maverick(my buck) in with them, he just ignores them and walks all the way around the barns through a pasture and looks at his daughters. Sometimes they are in heat and sometimes they are not. Even if his does are in heat he ignores them until they are put in his pen(Maverick's pen is made up of the side of a barn and 8' tall dog kennel panels. I hate the pen, but it is the only thing that will keep him in). He then proceeds to push/make a hole in the woven wire fence or to climb a metal gate. He then runs over to his daughters and figures out how to get in with them. The pen they are in is not very good because we just made it and it is in the fixing stage. Enough to keep them in when they are NOT in heat, but it might as well be 2 ft high where is concerns the buck. He has done this 3 or so times. They are high quality does and all I need is to lose this breeding season with kids that will have problems because of in-breeding. So Maverick must be kept in his probably 36' by 16' pen(complete guess's because I am terrible at measurements) and I put the does I think might be in heat in with him. I could try to fix the fence, but it is a HUGE pasture with cows on one side, road on another, my garden/house/front yard/back yard on another and the barn area, his daughters, and my barns on the last side. Most of it is electric fence which has worked for over 10 years at keeping horses and goats in. Some places however are metal gates, wood fence, and woven wire. any ideas?

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
Each year the buck gets bigger, older, his rut time becomes more aggressive and his pen needs will need to be stronger lol...Next year we will have our bucks in a metal pen made for bulls!!!

The best bet is to move the girls or the buck where the buck cannot see them or get to them..He will continue figuring out how to get to them other wise..His pen needs to be re enforced some how..Cattle panels attached to his pen and held firmer with T- posts.. Right now we use Cattle panels..our boys are far enough away from the does..but still can see them..Our Saanen buck stay propped up on one corner all day..it will not hold him another season..thus the bull pen!!..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts