Buck flirting with humans

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by NDinKY, Nov 17, 2019.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Will a buck flirting with humans be likely to lead to aggressive behavior in the future? Our alpha buck Fleece is coming 3 this spring and is in full rut (along with our other two buck). He’s very friendly and any time I get near him he blubbers and snorts and paws like I’m a doe. He’s not shown any signs of aggression towards me, but I’m not sure how to handle his advances. I usually push him away or grab his collar to have better control. He flirts with my husband too, but not as much. Last night we had him in the barn with a doe in heat to breed. I went in the buck pen to put diaper cream on the other two who have urine scald on their faces. My husband said he ignored the doe when I was in with the other two and was more worried about what I was doing. When I came back out he got down to business with the doe. Are his advances towards humans something that may turn into aggression, or is this benign behavior? He and our other buck are the oldest ones we have at coming 3, and from the other thread it sounds like 3-4 yrs is when aggression issues come up. He is definitely the boss of the buck pen. He’s a Nigerian Dwarf, so I’m only dealing with 100# of rutting buck instead of a much larger buck.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get a squirt gun or spray bottle and squirt him when he does that, nip it in the bud, not a good thing for him to do at you.
    You can say at stern No! or what ever you want to say, as a command to stop the act. So if he gets to know a word used and if you happen to not have a spray bottle in hand at that time he may stop with the command.

Do not push him away, grab his horns, or hit his horns or face, that is a threat motion.
    If you have to stop him from being on or pawing you, you can grab his beard, if he has one and lead him anywhere to gain control.

3. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Ok, I’ll try the spray bottle. I figured it wasn’t good behavior, but wanted to make sure I dealt with it appropriately as I don’t want to make him aggressive. Thanks for the advice!

groovyoldlady and GoofyGoat like this.
  4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No problem, good luck. :)

NDinKY likes this.
  5. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
    Yes, it is an effective remedy.:up:

groovyoldlady and NDinKY like this.
  6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I have a 4 mo. old Lamancha boy that suddenly entered puberty! He went from a sweet baby to a blubbering, peeing, pawing jerk literally overnight! He got the squirt gun treatment and it's taken a few "NO's" and face squirts, now he steps back from the gate when I walk by. (And doesn't rush me inside!) He isn't with the big boys, they would slaughter him. He was just weaned. Darned puberty!

I want my baby back! :heehee:

GoofyGoat and toth boer goats like this.
  8. Old Rancher

Old Rancher New Member

May 30, 2018
    Lol. This is so funny. Goats are just that way. If you are raising a small bunch of goats in the barnyard I can tell you your big ol' boy isn't gettin' enough action and everything is fair game. Thank God they aren't as big as the cows! Raising a herd of a couple thousand I see this all the time whenever the hottest time of the year hits on through the end of September. Don't know why but heat really turns the guys on and I feel sorry for the dams that come into heat about that time. I've seen five billies chasing one poor girl until she's exhausted. I'm in the process of rebuilding the fences so I can separate them on the ranch but it's a very slow process. Precocious doesn't begin to adequately describe goats!

9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    By any chance is this your video? I see the feeder in the back ground that I wouldn’t mind making one like ;)

10. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
    It seems the owner introduced himself at the beginning, I think he will help you with the feeder.:)

11. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    This is one of Marc Warnke's videos. He runs packgoats.com. I'd you browse his site you may find a video about his feeders and shelter setup.

12. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Thank you! I’ll look and see if I can find something

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
  14. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    The spray bottle worked like a charm! Fleece wasn’t sure what to make of it and after a couple dozen squirts he gave up and left me alone. Thanks for the help!

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    :clapping:Glad it worked!:coolmoves:

healthyishappy likes this.