buck + flystrike?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by SDK, Jun 14, 2010.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    I think my buck has flystrike.. i've never seen it before on a goat though, and i dont have horses, i've only ever seen it on a donkey that was severly neglected.. how does one treat it? I've been spraying/dousing him with flyspray and putting ointment on him.. anything else?

2. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    The area needs to be thoroughly cleaned with soap and water and all the hair clipped away. You might be able to spray with blu kote to seal the area.

Where is it located? What is the causative factor? Does he have diarrhea?

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    its on the hind legs in various spots.. no diarrhea no cuts no nothing.. thats just the part of his body that isnt shaggy i guess

4. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Odd, you wouldn't expect fly strike without some underlying cause. I'd just clean it off real well and make sure his bedding is dry.

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    his pen is cleaned every day.. he pees in ONE SPOT tho.. and he hangs outin that spot.. i hose it off everyday to keep the smell down.. i dunno whats up

6. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    He likes the smell. Putting water on it makes it more attractive to flies. Can you get some stall dry to sprinkle on it instead? Otherwise, a little ag lime will help with odor and cut way down on flies.