The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nubian buck is off. He looks scruffy and acts tired. This has been coming on gradually so I didn't really notice it until yesterday when he seemed to be favoring a back leg (which may be something completely unrelated.) He doesn't get up when I come into the barn but remains laying down until right when I feed him. He also snuggles with his pen-mate (his offspring) as if he is unusually cold. He seems skinnier than he should be. None of the other goats or sheep seem affected.

His appetite seems normal. Cud-chewing normal.

I wormed him yesterday and gave him a shot of B vitamin. I'm going to get a fresh batch of minerals tonight.

Anything else I should be doing? It is not unusual for animals to hurt their foot or leg and be lame for a few days, so I don't know how it could be related.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
take his temperature and check his membranes for colour. check his leg(s), and hoof to see if there's a sprain or something and if there's an injury to the hoof. what did you worm him with, and how much?

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Def. get his temp...101.5-103.5 is normal range....How much does he weigh..? 5 cc of valbazen covers 50#'s

If you have white tail deer in your area...consider Meningeal worm...which will need treatment ASAP, here is an article on that...
http://goatconnection.com/articles/publish/article_126.shtml

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Yes Valbazen is 1 cc per 10#...if hes 100# he would need 10 cc ...You can also use Ivomec plus for liver fluke...I use it 1 cc per 40# sub Q some use it orally I htink 1 cc per 25-33 #...Under doseing will do more harm than good...

My 4 year old Nubian weighed about 250# try to get a weight on him to be sure you dose correctly...here is a link that shows you how to measure him then convert to pounds
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/weight-chart.htm

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
I would get a fecal on him before you keep deworming him. That could be a problem, the worms become immune to the dewormers because of over use.

Yep get that temp. What is the weather like there?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Valbazen label says 2ml / 50 lbs.
We were out tonight, and he was lying down, chewing his cud when I got home, so I decided not to disturb him. His stool is normal, so I doubt it is coccidia. Perhaps it is just his rear leg, but I didn't notice any limping until yesterday. His joints or feet don't seem swollen.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
My Valbazen label says 2ml / 50 lbs.
The bottle rarely has the proper dose for goats...they need 1 cc per 10# to be effective...Goats metabolism is the fastest among all rumenants...2 cc per 50# is too low to do any good...We use most all our medication "off Label" which means its not labeled for goats. As goat owners we have learned what we can use and how much for our goats....at least until the folks down at the labs realize what we already know...that goats are a viable resource and deserve time in the lab to formulate medication just for them, until then, we rely on years and years of goat folks sharing what has worked and not worked for them...

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
on his leg..is he showing weakness? or acting like a sprang? limping or dragging? Did you get his temp? (cant remember lol) You said hes chewing a cud.. no heat no swelling
ok, a few more questions
eating?
drinking ?
pooping berries,
peeing a nice steady stream, not dribbles?
bright eyes, nice deep pink to red inner lower lids?
Do have a fecal done...poop is only one indicator of worm load...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.