The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an AN buck who is just more than a year old. He has breeded 3 goats in fall 2020 without problems.

Now, when I feel his testicles, I can only feel one very big testicle. Maybe the second one hasn't descended yet.

This buck is now father to a buckling that clearly has two testicles. My question is whether he can breed without problems, or if this 'trait' can be genetically inherited?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If only one of his testicles has dropped, he is a cryptorchid, and it is believed to be genetic.

Not all of his offspring will be cryptorchids, but it would not be recommended to use him as breeding stock, as it can appear down the line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If only one of his testicles has dropped, he is a cryptorchid, and it is believed to be genetic.

Not all of his offspring will be cryptorchids, but it would not be recommended to use him as breeding stock, as it can appear down the line.
Ok yeah, I understand that.

Is there a chance for the testicle to descend when more than a year old?

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Bucks should be born with both testes in the scrotum..they don't drop later. So if you are feeling one teste, the other never dropped, and won't. It's good to remember to feel for both in each new born buck. I agree with retiring him. He would be best wethered, Surgical wethering would be needed to get both testes removed. Sorry this was found after he has kids on the ground. Those kids would be best as pets as well.

Best wises

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure both testes aren't together as one? That is still bad. I just recently banded a male whose testes were together as one but you could actually feel that it was both.
I mean, it could be, but I can't feel any separation between them. It feels like one.
It's actually pretty big, and if he were to have two of that size, it maybe seems a little awkward.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Definitely looks like one there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts