The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed yesterday the the left teat on my buck is super swollen. I thought at first it might be a wasp sting since we seem to have lots thins year but it is still swollen today. I don't know how long it has been like this, it was just coincidence that I saw it. Not something that you look at that often. I am not sure if there is something that I should do. I can get a picture later if you think it will help. Thanks

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Sometimes bucks from super milk lines can start to become precocious -- meaning they start making milk.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
That was my thought..precocious Udder...I had a nubian buck that had a PU his first rut. Check for warmth, hardness,,,like Pam said and see if there is fluid

·
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I am waiting for hubby to get home to get some pics. I have tried to feel it but he is not keen on that but with hubby's help I can get a better feel and look. It is just the one teat so that is why I am wondering. By the way, he is from heavy, heavy milking lines.

·
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good morning, finally got hubby to help get pics but they aren't that great. It gives you an idea of what the teat looks like compared to the other one. And YES........ there is milk in it. I was dumbfounded. I had heard of this but never saw it before. It is warm to the touch but only body temp and there is no hardness or anything. I squeezed it and milk squirted right out. Hubby couldn't believe it.

Now my question is.... what do I do, do I milk it out or leave it. Will he be okay???

The last pic is of the normal size teat and you can see a bit of the swollen one on the right of the pic.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Just leave it. It it gets must bigger the heat from the teats can effect their semen but at that size, no worries. A diet high in clover can often times cause this in bucks and non bred does even without high production bloodlines in the pedigree. Though... I would guess that milk would taste something AWFUL! It sure would be funny to put that into someones morning coffee! :)

·
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point about the grain. I do give him a little grain to keep his weight up but always with amonium chloride in it. So I will definately stop that. I have been feeding a new batch of hay lately with lots of alfalfa in it so that could have contributed to it. I have some old hay that has hardly any alfalfa in it so I'll get him back on that too. I read that bucks of heavy milking lines can exhibite this at around 2 years of age and he turn 2 this past spring. I have been doing some research since I checked for milk and it is not a bad thing but just watch for mastitis.... funny thinking that about a buck.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I was told from an old timer farmer that buck can indeed come into milk..natures way of taking care of offspring who lost mom lol..who knows...but it happens..best to leave it and keep a close eye on things

·
Registered
905 Posts
Fascinating! I declare, I've never heard of such a thing! Love this forum and all the information you all so willingly and humbly share. God bless you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts