Buck hoarder at it again......

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Jan 16, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So you all know that I have

Old Castle Blue - AGS Nigi
    "Bucky" - ADGA Nubian

Purchased and coming home today -

CornerStone Farms Abba *S - AGS Nigi

well - here we go!!!!!

Yesterday, I received an email from a lady that would like to purchase a reg nigi buckling from me this year and was curious if I might be interested in a USBGA registered "proven" buck. She said if I wasn't interested in the trade, that was fine - as she wanted to get a buckling from me anyway. She said that she would not allow him to leave until he was CAE, CL,and Johnes tested through the lab that I have. So she sent me a pic - what do you all think of this guy. This was taken last fall (so Fall 07) when he was approx 18 months old. He is almost 3 years old now. I do not have pedigree info on him. He would be used for my meat kids for the family......

[​IMG]

And here is the other thing ----- please don't slap me!!!! LOL!

See that little guy in my picture by my name??? That is Caramel. Caramel was born Jan 28th 2008. He is a confirmed Joe Dirt son and the only one that is intact from the only other registerd breeding that he did before dying. Well, I sold Caramel last year (although I REALLY wanted to keep him) as I didn't need dad and son, and I thought I would have TONS of Joey kids to choose from this year - and his dams udder was not "perfect" to my liking - so he went unregistered to a friend who just wanted a few small milkers.

Today, I found her email, and decided to send her one letting her know that Joe had passed away and was curious if she might be interested in letting me breed one of my girls to him so that I could get a Joe kid (in case something happened and I didn't get any this year).

She counter offered that she wants to give him BACK to me!!!!!!!! Oh man!!! What to do - what to do.

She is supposed to be getting me some pics of him today. She said he is trying to breed everything in sight - and since he was a bottle baby - he is breaking through the fences and has bred everything on her property. The little fart head! She said that I can wait to see what Snow has if I would like and is getting pics as I type this.....

What to do - LOL!

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    He looks nice and if he is something you think you wiuld like I would go for it! Decisions...decisions... :sigh:

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    The boer buck is probably not one I would use for producing breeding stock, but he would be fine for producing meat kids for your freezer camp.

The little Dirty kid ... honestly, you sold him for a reason. You said yourself his mother's udder wasnt great, and at other times you have said that Joe had certain faults that led you to decide to castrate him. So really I think that, although its a hard decision, if I was in your shoes I wouldnt breed from the little caramel buck. You have to keep a level head and always try to improve the quality of your goats, and try not to let emotion get in the way too much. I know its hard, I've been there before.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I agree totally with what Keren said. It was very well-said.

I do not know much of anything about Boer goats, but he looks nice enough to me. You mentioned it would just be for meat for your family and he looks like he could get the job done well.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I to........agree with keren, very well put....

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Thats a relief because I was a little worried I had come off a bit harsh.

:)

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think the boer buck looks nice -- but what do I know of meat goat stuff! Your other boer buck went to freezer camp right? seems you are in need of a buck then :wink:

As to the carmel kid -- unless his mom's udder improves (which it could or could not depending on what was the issue and how many freshionings she has had) and you can get him registered I dont see how getting him will be most helpful. Now if you breed his mom and can see improvement as well as are able to register the "little" guy then I would go for it. But only after you see what your Girls bred to Joe produce. They may have much better udders and give you a boy that you cant resist and then you would have two half brothers that you have to choose from and then feel bad that you took back a buck kid that you will end up selling -- could get tacky too if she feels slighted after such a kind guesture. :shrug:

8. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    We already talked about both of these bucks :greengrin: but I thought I would put my two cents in here as well :shades:

Boer- I like him and I think he would work great for producing meat kids for you :thumb:

Joe Dirt Kid- In the end it is your decision. I know how much you liked Joe Dirt and if you would really like to have this little guy then I say go for it! If you don't really want him, or if you don't think he will be producing the quality of kids that you would like, then I would say pass on him. Either way, honestly, just always go with your instincts, then you will have no regrets or "what if's" in the future :hug: , IMO. In the end you are the one who has to live with the decision you make, so as long as whatever you decide makes you happy then that is all that really matters in the end :hi5: . I would LOVE to see the pics she sends you of him! Keep us posted on what you decide!

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I think the boer buck will make some great little meat goats. I like him.

As for the buckling, he sure is cute. If you want him, you should get him. She's giving him back to you so what can you lose. You can use him on a couple does and see what he produces. If you change your mind, I know you could find a great home for him. Personally, I would take him, see how his dams udder turns out this spring, and if you don't think he's right for your breeding program then you can sell. Being a part of Joe is really neat. Just go with your gut feeling.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The Boer looks as though he wold produce some stocky kids....and I hope they would be fast growers too.

Seeing as how you just have a couple does due with Dirt kids, and you have the choice of bringing his son back as well, go with your heart/gut on this one, we all know how much Joe meant to you.....see which does could benefit from the strong points this buck would carry and choose accordingly....now remember though Allison, I vaguely recall your DH making you sleep in the barn if you had "too many" lol