Buck in "super rutt"

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by liz, Sep 15, 2009.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Teddy is my 19 month old pygmy/nigi buck and well....he is really in an aggressive rutt. Besides being nasty to the other 2 guys, he is CONSTANTLY beating his head on anything he can as well as having a continuos "stream" to his face. He has areas of his nose and cheek...on the left, that is literally bald and raw looking. Of course I make sure they always have fresh water, bucket scrubbed and changed 3x a day due to the icky beards hitting the water, they do have ammonium chloride in their minerals for acidity in the urine, which made me think it was the culprit for the spots on his face but Hank and Chief don't have these and they always have wet faces. I have used bag balm as a repellent on gaulded front legs, would it work on his face or is he destined to be bald til after rutt( or neutering whichever comes first!)

Teddy is destined to be neutered after a repeat breeding with Angel next month....their previous kids were gorgeous and had beautiful colors, but they were bucks, I don't know if he could improve Angels udder with daughters and at this point as aggressive as he is, I don't want a worse rutt next year with fear that he will do injury to the other boys and he HAS to stay as he is my Bootsies last kid.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    having a similar problem...mine is clean still, well odin is...but he is really beating on the fences, really doing some damage

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try Vaseline Liz that might repel the urine better. :shrug:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you...will do that and hopefully it helps :thumbup:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I had a buck that started getting a bald spot on his lip because of all the urine, it did end up healing on it's own, but sometimes those bucks just don't know when to stop. :doh:

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    :ROFL: I have to say. I hope you do not have to many people come over. I bet they would think (That goat , there is something wrong with it). Boy aren't we glad that is not how OUR men try to get out attention? :ROFL: :ROFL:

My big boy beat the heck out of all other males around while he is in rut, so during this time poor Mickey is in a pen by himself, I hate to do ti but I have to or he might kill another goat. I don't think he minds because he has a girl in there at different times. Plus he can see the girls all the time.

Mickey use to loose all the hair on the back of his front legs and oh man did it look like it hurt. So what I did was wash him down and caked his legs with Vaseline. It seemed to help. I would try that on your boys face also. Hopefully it will help him.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Or desitin - baby butt rash cream or A &D that way it will repel the urine but give him some relief on the scalding :shrug:

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Do a good scrub with some batadine and warm water to get the nasty off his sking, then desitin or some other baby rash cream. It works really well.
    beth

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I never thought about the baby rash cream. :hammer: Thanks for the great tip. :clap:

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do have some desitin....will that also help repel the urine?

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yes, it will help with the chaffing as well asn keep the urine off of the sores.
    beth

12. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    I haven't had ours get sores or raw spots before, I wonder if it has something to do with the pH of the urine?? :shrug:

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I was wondering the same thing...they do have ammonium chloride in their minerals, but the other 2 don't have the issue going on? Unless their aim is off :shrug:
    [​IMG]

This was before I washed his face and applied a thick layer of Desitin...didn't last long though because he rubbed his face on Hank.

He's also the only buck to have a light colored face..the other 2 have black faces.

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    When I got Blue last November - his nose was raw - not as bad as teddy - but pretty raw.

I wonder if he is peeing more trying to compete more aggressively for the girls.

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He is VERY aggressive...not toward me but definately with Hank and Chief, he has HIS spot by the fence and neither of them are allowed near it.

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is bizarre....all the years... that I have had bucks....I never had that problem.....very unusual.....maybe have a scrape sample done to see if it may be mites of some sort ... :scratch: :hug:

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't think that this is parasite caused, if it was, wouldn't he be bald in other areas? And he shares the pen with 2 others....if it was a bug wouldn't they be affected? I dust them 3x a year with sevin, would that control any possible bug?

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks for the link.....after reading it though...Teddy isn't scabby or oozing, and the article said that others with the affected animal would be infected as well.

I guess that once he's neutered and stops making his face wet, it will be back to normal.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome... :greengrin:
    Your probably right Liz.. :wink: ..I hope it clears up soon....doesn't look comfortable at all... :shocked: :help: :hug: