Buck Issues -- Need help!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by RowdyKidz, Jan 25, 2010.

1. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I purchased a healthy 10 month old registered buck with the intention of using him. Got him home and settles put a doe in with him and nothing. :? Given he was a smaller, immature buck then and I figured maybe he couldn't reach? Or penetrate. So I gave him some slack.

He manages to mount my yearling doe however (didn't penetrate though) after he figured out how to get out of his pen.

So I figured he'd be okay to use. So (he's now a year old) I put him in with a doe 3 weeks ago that was in standing heat and didn't even show interest! She's heavily flirting with him and tail wagging and NOTHING at all! He has refused to breed her! And he very well could if he had wanted to.

He's UTD on vaccinations, wormings, cocci treatments, and hoof trimmings. Now he is also on the small side. Is there anything I could do for his height and lack of buckyness?

Please help! I am desperately trying to use this buck!!!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He's not the only buck right? Sometimes having competition brings out the testosterone.

3. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    No -- He's been housed with Herbie. But I take him out when I stick a doe in there. I am just so muffled by this buck.

Not to mention frustrated. $350 down the drain (so far). :angry:

4. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    hmm, how old is he? I have a buck who didn't get anyone bred til he was well over a year old. In fact, if I was out there, he'd just ignore the doe. I had Justy live iwth a doe for 6 mos and nothing! I was convinced he was sterile. It turned out to be the doe. I put her in with another buck I wasn't using, 'cause I figured she couldn't get bred -- well, finally she did. ANyeay, even now (he's 3 I think) Justy's just not as crazy as the others. Maybe yours is shy? Can you let the doe just live with him? Maybe he just needs time!

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Is he UTD on Copper and BoSe?

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yep -- Copper and BoSe is all UTD.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Some bucks are just slow. Its his first year. Sometimes it takes them awhile to figure out what to do. Yearling (or first time) bucks tend to flirt a lot, older bucks dont do as much flirting and get to the job at hand.
    beth

8. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    He may like being a kid and it will take time for him to become a buck ...some bucks take longer and then watch out he will want to breed everything on the farm.

9. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I've only ever had one buck, and I got him at 1.5 years. So, he's been ready to go the whole time. BUT I have owned and bred dogs for a decade now. And I can tell you - each animal is different. Some would be ready to go at 6 months old, other's would take a year, I even had one wait about 20 months. He'd flirt and whimper for a female in heat through a fence. He'd do it from the day she came in...and female dogs won't breed until 9-14 days...but if you put one with him...nothing. He was almost two when he got the first female pregnant and it was an accident...sort of...I had started using him as a teaser and he tied her. I was pretty happy since he was a very nice stud and I have tried her previous 3 cycles to get him to breed her!!

Anyways...the point is...if you're worried about his size and development consider adding some alfalfa pellets and grain to his diet to help him grow (not a lot, don't make him fat lol). And give him time to learn his job!

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If he is in there with her all the time, maybe he did bred her and you just did not see it.

I could not imagine having a buck NOT act like a buck. My baby was 7 months old and he just gave us some very beautiful babies.

11. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    See, I would think that too, but since I was un-sure about him I left the does in there for a month to make sure and they've been recycling while in there with him and he's shown no interest at all.

12. KGW Farms

KGW Farms New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Scales mound, IL
    "I figured maybe he couldn't reach?"
    I doubt that! I have bred a pygmy buck to a Boer doe before.....they will get the job done!

I agree with Liz....a little healthy competition might help.

I also agree with Lori...maybe he did get the job done. Has the doe come back into standing heat?

13. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I had a buck (Moonshine) that I thought was sterile... he had zero bucky smell was laid back totally friendly and didn't pay ANY attention to the girls. I paid $800 for him so I was pretty disappointed to have a "wether" that was that expensive! LOL Anyway.... when the doe I wanted him to breed came into standing heat... I let him out with her and my herd... he could have cared less. I did this every day for 1 week (he was put back in his own pen at night as I don't allow for night breedings) I still never saw him look at a doe... he just ate, grazed and slept with with them. 5 months later to the day... All of my dos and DOELINGS kid!!!!!! AGH... he wasn't supossed to breed the babies too!!! Needless to say.... those boys can be sneaky! Oh and the next season I saw why I never saw a breeding. He would breed a doe for literally about 2 seconds. then never again.... he produced my first set of quads off of a single 2 second breeding!!!

14. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

15. KGW Farms

KGW Farms New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Scales mound, IL
    ARRRG! That is weird! I am not sure what to tell you. All the bucks I have had all seem to have a healthy (sometimes too healthy) 'buckiness' and get the job done or try very hard! Most of my bucks, even the real sweethearts are very persistant!

I know some folks keep their does and bucks separated so they cannot see or smell each other. When the does come into standing heat, they walk the buck into the doe pen and let him "explore." maybe that would work???????

16. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Our buck - Trax is 3 years old- he will NOT let you see him breed a doe-doesnt even sniff em- but we still get kids off of him every year!!! i actually stayed up late one night just to catch him- he does his work at night-come to find out...very gentleman like :)

17. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Now i've seen bucks just 6 months old that would get the job done and i've seen bucks that are over a year and showed no interest. I had a yearling buck last year who just wasn't mature enough to breed does, this breeding season as a two year old he's bred at least 6 does so far and is VERY interested as where last year he was kind of ho hum about the does. I would give him til next breeding season if he's really worth keeping.

18. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

My buck is like this....almost a year old and he doesnt want anything to do with the girls!

Some just take longer to mature