The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my pygmy bucks that ive only had for a few months has been limping off and on for a week and now won't put any weight on front left hoof. When I got him I checked his hooves and they were fine. And I just had a farrier come out and do all of my goats the weekend before last . He said that all looked good and trimmed a little. Well since he left my pygmy buck that I cut ally bought from him has been limping since and has actually been seen walking a few times on his knees. So I checked his hooves and they don't even look like they ave been done actually they look bad to me. The wall has separated from the pad and has black **** in it. So I trimmed off the wall part some and cleaned it out. What dp I need to do? I can call the vet out if I need to for $150 but if I can I would like to help him myself.

image-886341432.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does he have hoof rot or something? Do I need to trim all of the wall off that has separated? I've tried to call the farrier and sent emails explaining the problem and haven't heard from him. I hate to see him in pain and limping .

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Trim off any bad and separated wall area's, take those pockets off, as much as possible, without making her bleed. It is best to get that out of there.
Get iodine/water and a tooth brush, scrub all black crud off. Scrub the whole hoof really well. Do this every day until better. You can also use a hoof rot med after scrubbing. You can do it 2 x a day, if you prefer for a couple of days.

Here is another link that may help as well.

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f193/pictures-new-goat-foot-rot-119607/

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I agree with Pam. It sounds like hoof rot.

If he's in a wet area, the hooves should be kept dry if possible so it can heal. Wet ground, especially muddy/poopy ground will make it hard to heal.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I agree with Pam and Kylee.
Keep it as clean and dry as you can.. Hope it heals quickly for you and your boy :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has been very rainy here for the last coupl of months but has began to dry in the last week or so. I trimmed all of the pocket off and cleaned it with iodine and water. By the time I got all of the pocket off basically he has no wall on one side of the hoof and is only the pad left on one toe :(

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should I just continue to clean it a couple times a day with the iodine water or get som hoof rot meds from tsc to put on it also?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
When I dealt with a very minor case of hoof rot, I just cleaned it twice a day with hot soapy water, then soaked it for a few minuets in iodine water then dried it real well.. You can even spry Blu-Kote on it if you want to. I have heard that LA-200 works well for hoof rot too but never used it...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I don't know id those would work or not :shrug: I didn't use it when I dealt with it.. I just did the washing that i said above and it worked :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any idea when I should notice it getting better? I've never had to deal with this before so I'm kinda freaking out a little. I worried about it all night

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I am not sure off the top of my head... When I dealt with it a few years ago, it wasn't that bad... I had just found it looking gross and smelling icky when I was trimming feet... There was no limping yet... I want to say it was a week or so maybe for me?? Hopefully someone else who would know can chime in soon :)

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Continue each day, scrubbing the hooves with iodine/water until healed.
Yes, keep the goat in a dry area.

Each day of treatment, it will get better, within a week, you should see improvement. In 2 weeks, if anymore hoof of bad area's need to be clipped off, then do so, a little at a time, until it is back to healthy hoof. This can be done every 2 weeks ,just cut a little each time, if needed. When there is no more rot left to trim, the hoof will be better. Keep up treatment to any hoof that has any rot remaining until you can get it out of there. I know trimming the pockets and the bad off, make it look painful but, it must be done to get healing started. You are doing a good job. ;)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Continue each day, scrubbing the hooves with iodine/water until healed.
Yes, keep the goat in a dry area.

Each day of treatment, it will get better, within a week, you should see improvement. In 2 weeks, if anymore hoof of bad area's need to be clipped off, then do so, a little at a time, until it is back to healthy hoof. This can be done every 2 weeks ,just cut a little each time, if needed. When there is no more rot left to trim, the hoof will be better. Keep up treatment to any hoof that has any rot remaining until you can get it out of there. I know trimming the pockets and the bad off, make it look painful but, it must be done to get healing started. You are doing a good job. ;)
I've been scrubbing and cleaning with the iodine water 3-4 times a day. It seems to be improving already. Yesterday he was laying down alot or either walking on his knees. Today he's up walking around as usual but still limping and not wanting to put alot of weight on it. And He's in a clean and dry pen. It just breaks my heart to see him limping and in pain :( I hope it heals soon so that he can get back to his funny self :D

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Sounds like your doing great! :D

I agree with what Pam was saying about trimming more off if you see any more rot.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I am sure that taking all the stuff off and opening it up made it hurt worse. But you needed to get it off to help it heal.
Good job :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I went to check on him this morning and just stood back and watched to se if he was walking better and realized that its his knee joint that I believe the problem is. Every time he takes a step I can hear it click . What do I need to do for him?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts